Beneath The Three Squires Real Play

Beneath The Three Squires

Sam Slocum:
The three of you met on the road from town (Howard, need a town name) after hearing rumors of a crazy old man surfacing at a roadside in known as The House of the Three Squires. He was covered in mud and somewhat badly battered. The rumors said he was claiming to have a hand drawn map to a ancient burial mound in the nearby mountain foothills. These sorts of stories are usually a dime-a-dozen, but in this case, The Three Squires is well known for brewing some of the finest sour ale in this part of the country. Seeing no reason NOT to indulge in a short roadtrip to get a beer and hopefully a treasure map you set out.
Yes
Timothy Dreier:
“A map to ancient, long buried treasures? I am sure such a place is guarded by creatures most foul. We can enrich ourselves and make the world better at the same time.”

Sam
It takes the better part of an afternoon to wind lazily through the hills and forest, and just as twilight descends over the forest you round the bend and can make out the shadowing shape of the Inn, against the backdrop of thick pine trees.

Howard
(We all heading south from Porth Ia, a port town on a surprisingly warm, north-facing beach, heading south through rocky hills jutting out of thicket-filled valleys and wide peat bogs.)

Sam
As you approach the Inn however, something feels out of place. Then it hits you. You smell no cooking fires, and the windows are dark. The only sound is the croaking of the frogs in a near by bog, and the high pitched squeak of the heavy door creaking on its hinges.

Tim
“I do not like the looks of this.”

Steven
“Who would abandon such a fine place to holiday? They must have ran out of sour ale.”

Howard
“Let’s have a walk around the place before stepping inside, lads.”

Tim
“Aside from that why are there no signs of life at all. You would think the landlord, at least, would have stayed ale or no.”
“We should look about, do we need a torch?”

Steven
“Certainly.”

Sam
The Inn is a two story building, constructed of sturdy old wood, with a heavily slanted roof covered in wooden shingles. There is a small nearby stable, that appears to stand open and empty. A small vegetable garden stands well tended around the back. As the sun makes its last efforts to light up the clearing the Inn rests in, you can just make out signs of a struggle on the door frame of the huge wooden door that hangs open and unbarred, opening into a gaping dark doorway.

Howard
Spear in hand, I head around back, alert for ambushes. Are there horses or livestock? If not, are there signs that there should be?

Sam
There are pens for livestock, and a bench and covering for butchering nearby. The pens are all empty, and it appears that all the butchering equipment (down to the last hook) has been removed.

Tim
“Most odd”
I pull out my sword to be at the ready, in case those who did this are still about.

Howard
“That’s not good. You two holy men still want that beer?” I point towards the door.

Steven
I prepare my warhammer for sanctimonious smashing.
“There must be a bottle or two left.”

Tim
“Beer? Only AFTER we find the ne’er-do-wells who perpetrated this obvious crime.”

Sam
Upon closer inspection there appears to be drag marks from the butchering area, and the pens to the front door to the Inn. They are faint from a rain two days past, but still visible in the torchlight.

Tim
“Something dragged the animals…inside rather than away? What devilry is this?”

Steven
“Someone liked fresh ingredients. Very fresh.”

Tim
I am horse-wise, do I have any clue how large something would have to be to drag a whole horse through the doorway?

Sam
Large or numerous
A good sized group of people with ropes could do it.

Tim
Any evidence of ropes?

Sam
Nope

Tim
“Well, gents, there seems to be no course left but into the breach. How shall we do this? Besides carefully?”

Howard
“Quietly?” I look at the roof. Is there a large chimney? Signs of a kitchen inside?

Sam
Yes, the stones for one of the chimneys make up a good part of the back wall and part of the east side.
sorry, for the chimney
not “one of”

Tim
No smoke?

Sam
None

Howard
I let the humans go in first.

Sam
Heheh

Steven
How dark is it?

Tim
Do you have a torch lit already Symeon?

Sam
It is now full night. Thin clouds obscure what stars get through the crooked branches of the vine covered trees. The moon is a narrow crescent.

Steven
I lower my hammer to light a torch. “Lead on…”

Tim
With sword and shield in hand I cautiously creep up to the doorway, ensuring that I am between my allies and any danger

Howard
Once the cleric gets one lit, I light a torch from my backpack off of his torch.

Steven
One the torch is ready. I take a swig of wine from my skin and offer some to the group. “Let’s see what’s for dinner, shall we?”

Sam
Stephen, the porch creaks like old bones under your boots as you step up to the dark doorway.

Tim
{Whispered} “So much for quiet”

Sam
A cold breeze blows through the Inn off of the bog, and you can smell soot and ash, from a fireplace burned out days ago.

Howard
I sigh and shrug, and move on in faster, now that we’ve blown sneaky.

Tim
I motion the cleric to come closer with the light and carefully move into the doorway

Sam
As your eyes adjust to the dark of the Inn, you can see that the commons room is eerily empty. All of the heavy wooden tables and chairs are gone. The wooden floors are marred by deep gouges where something heavy, the tables in all likelyhood were dragged out of the room and into the kitchen.

Steven
I keep a help distance behind the paladin

Sam
In one corner of the room you can make out a large dark stain in the wood.

Tim
{quietly} “To the kitchen then?”
Blood?

Howard
“What in Eleven Hells?”

Steven
“Let me get a good look.”

Tim
“Nothing good, that much is certain.”

Howard
are there lanterns or candles on sconces, or have they all been stripped, too?

Steven
I shine the light down at the large stain

Sam
There are numerous places where the walls show that a struggle of some kind took place here. Symeon, a closer look reveals it is most certainly a large dried pool of blood, and a trail of it leads ominously to the door to the kitchen.
They are gone as well Fenring.
The Inn appears as bare as the day it was built.

Howard
“Very thorough.”

Steven
“To the kitchen then”

Tim
“And perplexing. Yes, to the kitchen. Steel yourselves.”

Howard
One second, lads.
“One second, lads.”
I poke about the fireplace with my spear. Anything? bones?

Steven
I turn toward the dwarf

Howard
nothing in the ashes?

Sam
There is an old cooking pot buried in the deepest part of the ashes. Strangely the iron stands and parts used to cook with have been removed, some even pulled out of the masonry they were set in on the fireplace.

Tim
“What in all the names of the Immortal Lords did this?”

Howard
I use the tip of my harpoon to pull up the lid.

Steven
“what’s in the pot?”

Sam
Looks like the burned remains of stew are cooked to the bottom.

Howard
“a shame. Old stew. That’d have been nice after ;a day like this.”

Sam
Stephen, the door to the kitchen swings open easily, revealing an equally bare kitchen. To your right you can see the other side of the shared fireplace that Fenring is now searching. To the left, what was at one time surely pantry shelves sit empty.

Howard
I follow them into the kitchen.

Tim
Are there any marks leading somewhere from here? Is there another exit?

Sam
In front of you on the other side of the kitchen, you make out the outline of a large trap door. It has been horribly damaged, its frame cracked and broken from something heavy and too large being dragged down it.
The blood trail and the drag marks all lead up to the trap door.

Tim
“Of course, in the cellar. Of course.”

Sam
There is a kitchen door next to the trap door, probably leading to the outside.

Tim
“I think we shall have to venture down that trapdoor, fellows. I wonder if it is trapped, however.”

Steven
“Not even a single bag of peppers left.”

Sam
The robbers were thorough, that is clear.

Howard
“This gets better and better.”

Tim
“For certain, odd, values of better.”

Sam
Ok, we need to pause briefly, so you guys can set our goals.

Howard
“And they took everything down the cellar? Chairs, tables, hooks and butcher blocks and candles?”

Sam
Yes, the larger items were clearly forced down the door, damaging it (and probably the furniture) in the process.

Tim
Goals…goals… “Bring those who emptied the inn to justice.”

Howard
Goal: To learn what happened here, and tell the tale.

Sam
Good, right them down. You will need to defend that you tried and possibly succeeded in meeting your goals at the end of the adventure.

Howard
Done.

Steven
Goal: To get myself, the party and any innocents out alive.

Sam
Excellent

Steven
(written down)

Sam
Ok, back to the action
It is clear that any answers to be had will be found through that trap door.

Tim
“Well, let’s open the door and head down, then.”

Howard
is the door itself still on its hinges? Is the frame still able to hold it?

Sam
It is, and it does, if barely.
In some places it almost looks like someone might have taken an axe to the frame in the hopes of getting a larger piece of furniture through.

Howard
If there’s a metal ring to lift it with, I hook it to the bill of my harpoon and get on the OTHER side of the door to pull it up. “On three, then?”

Tim
“Who steals inn furniture? And why…kindling?”
“Let me know if you need help.”

Howard
“Indeed! It’s a mystery to be sure.”

Steven
One..two

Howard
“three!”
I lift. “Hyuh!”

Tim
I stand ready if anything should leap out of the hole

Steven
I help lift

Sam
As the door lifts, a waft of stale air is pulled out of the cellar.
There is a faint, almost spicy smell on the air.

Tim
Like brimstone?

Sam
It opens to a narrow set of badly battered wooden stairs.
No, something musky.
One of the hand rails has been broken off and is missing entirely.

Tim
“Careful on these stairs.” I cautiously test the first stair

Sam
What are the other two of you doing?

Steven
I proceed down with the paladin, keeping the light going
Generally watching the surroundings as we decend
Looking at the corners of the area as light reaches them

Howard
I take up the rear, a little concerned that the door could swing down back over our heads.

Sam
You could spike it open

Howard
I had thought about that.

Sam
Tim I need you to make a Scout check for me.

Howard
I go ahead and do it.

Tim
I don’t have scout, so do I do beginner’s luck with Will or Health?

Howard
“This’ll make some noise, I’m afraid, but we’ve lost the element of surprise.”

Sam
Will

Tim
And I use half?

Sam
Correct
Round up

Tim
4 & 3, one sucess

Sam
Ok.
Stephen, you begin to descend the stairs, carefully checking each board as you. Symeon stays close, giving you the badly needed light to see the steps.

Howard
I hammer a spike into the hinge-side of the door. “You don’t go nowhere, now.”

Sam
You both get ten steps or so down, with the sound of pounding above, dust coming down between the boards above is thin streams.
All of the sudden, the whole world for you two begins to sway, left and right.

Howard
(1 spike removed from inventory)

Tim
“Holy lords of eternal light…” How far to the bottom of the stairs?

Sam
With a loud groan and splintering of wood you both feel the entire set of steps give way for you and you find yourself suspended in mid air for a moment before crashing down into a heap of broken boards and rusty nails.

Steven
I stop, kneel down and brace myself against the steps
ARRGGH!!”

Sam
Dusting yourself off, both of you have been significantly battered and scraped up.
(you both are injured)

Howard
“Ah, Hells.”

Tim
My instinct is “Always defend your allies” is there any way I can shield the cleric durin gthe fall?

Steven
“Well, we have found unparalleled accommodations for the night.”

Sam
Yes, give me a dungeoneering tests.
test, not tests.

Tim
Okay, beginner’s luck again! I am so good at things!

Howard
I look down. Is their torch still lit?

Sam
1st level SUX
NOOB
Nope
Dim light from your torch is all they have.

Tim
Well, if that test happened when I was still fresh (IE before hitting the ground) I get 5, 5, 6 – three successes

Sam
Dungeoneer is Health BTW

Tim
my health and will are the same

Sam
Excellent.

Howard
I work fast to thread my rope through the eyelet and lower it down. I

Sam
Symeon, you don’t have the injured condition. Stephan rolled with you in mid air, putting himself between you and the ground.

Tim
“You okay there, Symeon?”

Steven
“Man, let’s have a look at you. Are you hurt?”

Tim
“Watch the first one, Fenring.”

Steven
“No worse for wear, due to you. What about you?”

Sam
Fenring, it doesn’t take long for you to get the rope attached to your spike and you are down in the cellar with your companions.

Howard
I’m doing it in such a way that I can retrieve the rope after I lower it, running half the rope through it, then dropping the other half down. Assuming the drop is less than 25 feet, both ends should run to the floor. (50’
rope)

Tim
“I am hurt, yes, but I think I will be fine eventually. May hobble a bit for awhile.”

Sam
Correct Fenring.

Steven
“Nothing I can’t patch up, I’m sure.”

Howard
“Gangway!”
I lower myself down.

Tim
I move out of the way, to avoid anything heavier falling on me
“Perhaps cough, spits blood if you go ahead, Fenring. I fear my eyes are better suited for…direct challenges.”

Howard
I say nothing, just look around for the dropped torch and relight it.

Steven
“Blast this, I’ll lead.”
I grab a torch and light it.

Howard
“How bad are you hurt, holy man?”

Steven
I look around to get my bearings
(I did try to inspect Stephen for injury)

Tim
“Not so hurt I cannot soldier on, but I will be glad of rest when it comes.”

Sam
With the improved lighting, you get your first look at the cellar. It is of carved stone walls and ceiling. The shattered remains of the stairs lie in a heap in one corner. The rest is filled with rubbish. Broken crates, pieces of furniture, some of it looks like it was recently pulled down, others seem to have been here for some time, though all appears to have been recently disturbed by the dust.

Tim
I would like to take a moment to map this bit

Sam
(Stephen is injured, and you can give him a heal test when you next make camp)

Steven
“Certainly.”

Tim
Do I need to test for that, Sam?

Sam
Across from you you can see two low wooden doors set in the gray stone wall.

Steven
“I can patch him up once we can stop.”

Sam
Give me a cartography test.

Tim
2, so failure

Howard
While he maps I go have a look about the rubbish and debris for any signs of what happened.

Sam
Not a failure.

Tim
man, injured SUCKS
I rolled 1D, the result was a 2

Steven
I look around for exits and other points of egress

Sam
Oh, sorry, thought that was 2 successes.
Gotcha
You all are poking around in the rubbish while Stephen works on his map in the torchlight, when you hear a strange and ominous scratching sound coming from one of the larger piles of wood.

Steven
I face the direction of the noise, focusing the torchlight on it

Sam
You have only a moment, just enough to draw your weapons, as three large red eyed beasts emerge from the wood pile. They are rats, rats the size of dogs, and the hiss at you hungrily as the slowly approach.

Tim
I drop my mapping and draw arms
CURSED BEASTS!”

Howard
I lift my harpoon, pointing my torch with my leading hand towards the noise. When I see the rats, I furrow my brow and smile beneath my curled moustache.

Tim
“I think we shall have to kill these creatures, friends.”

Steven
“I have just the thing.”
I prepare my hammer.

Sam
The rats close in on you, their tails curling and uncurling, and with a sudden rush the charge at you.
The rats are charging, what are you guys going to do, kill them? Just scare them off?
Run away?

Tim
I think we should kill them

Howard
I won’t argue if we kill them. Happy to scare them off if it’s easier.

Steven
Agreed

Tim
If we scare them off they’ll just go terrorize some other place

Howard
Aw Hells, I want to kill them.
It’s been weeks since I’ve killed a beast.

Tim
Kill, then?

Steven
“Oh, fine.”
“We may need to eat them at this rate.”

Sam
Kill it is, who is going to be the conflict leader?

Tim
“True enough, and I am not above it.”
I think it should probably be Fenring

Howard
I’m in the “point” position. That’s fine by me.

Steven
(I vote the player who has played the game before )

Tim
Given the kind of conflict, our disposition will be determined by Fight & Health

Sam
He can certainly advise, but having the person with the highest fight is advisable.

Steven
ok

Howard
I have a fight of 4.

Steven
I have no fight

Sam
Ok, everybody else has fight as well of some sort?
Doh! Ok

Steven
clerics come with no fight

Tim
yeah, I have fight

Sam
So, Fenring, you get to roll your Fight + 1D from help from Stephen.

Howard
Woot. 6, 6, 5, 5, 2.
These are new dice. So far, they like me.

Sam
Dayum

Steven
nice!

Tim
+1D for fresh?

Sam
Add the success to your health, and that is the groups starting disposition.

Howard
My health is 5 so: 9. I take it I divide that by 3?

Sam
Right, yeah, forgot about fresh. Roll one more Fenring

Howard
2.

Sam
Ok, yeah, divide by three, so each in the group gets three.

Howard
Oh well. So, 9 Disposition and there are 3 of us.

Sam
So each person needs to tell me what weapon they are using in this exchange.
The rats are using their sharp incisors.

Tim
I am using my sword, it will give it’s +1D to the attack action for this conflict

Steven
Warhammer

Howard
I’ll be using my harpoon (treat as a spear for all intents and purposes.)

Steven
+1 D for attack, -1 D for defend

Sam
Ok. I have chosen the rats actions for this exchange. Fenring, consult with your companions and determine what three actions you are going to do.
Attack, Maneuver, Defend, or Feint.

Tim
If whoever goes first takes the Maneuver action, the next person gets +2D
on success anyway

Howard
Well, one of you holy men can’t fight, and the other one is hurt. My instinct is to use the length of my weapon herd the rats into a better spot to be killed.
I get +1 Maneuver with my spear.

Sam
Your spear is also particularly good at manuever actions.
Correct.

Tim
If you maneuver first, I can attack second, the advantage would overcome my injury penalty pretty nicely

Howard
So I’ll do that.

Sam
That warhammer packs a whollop in an attack.

Howard
ok, so I maneuver and you two attack?

Steven
Works for me

Howard
Fine by me.

Tim
That could work

Sam
Ok, M, A, A? Is that your final answer?

Tim
I will go third, though, because Symeon will get a major boost from the maneuver plus the warhammer
and even injured I can still do okay

Sam
Ok

Howard
I prod at the rats, jabbing and turning, whacking at them from different directions to keep them occupied while Saint One and Saint Two work around and whack them. hard.

Steven
Sound plan

Sam
The rats scatter, and reform, trying to get a better position, their first action is also a maneuver.
Roll your health Fenring
include your fresh and your spear bonus.
They are might 2 so add a success as well.

Tim
HAH, and Symeon is also still fresh, so this was definitely the right choice of order

Howard
5, 4, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1. Could have been much better.

Tim
that’s four successes, though, with the +1 from their lower might

Sam
They got one success.
They will hinder you. So -1D for the next action.
Tim, wanna advise them on how to spend those successes?

Tim
Well, with four successes you can hinder them, and give us a bonus or disarm them and hinder them…disarm seems weird with their teeth..but whatever

Sam
It can still happen.
Break their teeth.

Tim
ah, yeah. I like give us a bonus and hinder them, but that’s just me

Sam
Yeah, I think that might be best.

Howard
Hindering them seems like what I was trying to do in my description

Sam
Yes

Howard
try to corral them into a spot where they can be easily picked off.

Sam
Good. Ok, so you are now +1D instead of -1D for the next action and they are -1D.

Howard
Can I use the other successes to gain position?

Sam
You swing at them, driving them into a corner of the cellar, they hiss, but your spear keeps them positioned for a telling blow from the hammer and blade.

Howard
or is that already calculated into that?

Sam
I included it.

Howard
Gotcha. Alright boys.

Sam
Next up. Symeon!

Steven
Excellent – what must I roll?

Sam
This will be a beginners luck check. So roll your health +1 halved. Round up.
Fenring, mark a success on your health track.

Steven
Plus +1 from my hammer?

Sam
Correct.
And +1 for fresh.

Steven
and +1 from fresh
and +1 from last action?

Sam
Yes, so health +3
halved

Steven
6,1,1,5,4,2

Sam
They strike out at you as you close in on them, slashing and biting teeth.
They attack as well. It is independent.
You do three disposition damage to them, and they bite and claw your legs, doing 2 points of damage to you Symeon.
Are you wearing armor?

Steven
Yes

Sam
Roll a d6

Steven
6
sweet

Sam
Ok, you only take a single point of damge
Your armor is out of commission for the rest of this fight though.

Steven
I swing at the cornered rats. “Damnation! My armor!”

Howard
“We’ll have to kill them quick!”

Sam
With a mighty swing, you crush one of the rats, leaving it a squirming wreck on the stone floor.

Howard
“Now, Brother Stephen!”

Tim
I raise my blade and swing it at the swarm of creatures
BACK TO THE HELL THAT SPAWNED YE!”

Sam
Ok, again the two remaining rats try to get the best of you Stephen, attacking with all they have, their teeth trying to shred your armor and flesh.

Tim
4, 5, 1 +1s so three successes

Sam
You swing and smash, and carve them, one however scrambles up your leg and begins chewing on your thigh before you can get him back on the ground. They do 2 points to you.
Armor?

Tim
Leather

Sam
you can use if if you want. d6.

Tim
Got a 2

Sam
Ok, it is out of commission for this fight, and you still take 2 points.

Tim
(ZE Goggles! ZE DO NOZINK!"

Sam
(hehehe)

Tim
next volley?

Sam
One ruined corpse lies at your feet though.
Only one rat remains.

Tim
excellent

Sam
next volley

Tim
I think I should go first and take the defend action, because I have a shield, and regrouping will help us out

Howard
I’m not wanting to waste time maneuvering. I’m going to lance the little tosspot. Brother Steven, you should fall back, defend yourself.

Tim
I will tend to my wounds and those of Symeon, then you lance the bastard.

Steven
“I can hold.”

Howard
Symeon, you could still back me up here, in case I don’t kill it.

Steven
“I right here.”

Tim
I will be using my shield for this volley

Sam
Ok, so D, A, A?

Howard
So, Defend, Attack, Attack.

Tim
yes

Sam
Excellent. Any other weapon changes?

Howard
Nope

Sam
Ok
The remaining rat, in a fury of desperate violence hurls himself at you Stephen.
It is vs

Tim
Okay, so I have the Defender trait at level 2, and I am defending my compatriots from danger as is my instinct. Does that trait apply in this situation
?

Sam
Two success on this end.
Yes

Tim
Okay, I am going to give myself -1D on this, but I get +1D from Defender, and +2D from the shield, and -1D for being injured

Sam
Which trait are you using against yourself?

Tim
so that should be Health +1D +1s… which is 5, so I get 6, 5, 4, 1, 1 +1s,
Defender

Sam
Ah, I don’t know if there is a rule against using a trait for and against in the same action, but we can talk about it later. Proceed.

Tim
I am so focused on defending my allies, that I neglect my own footing and hinder my ability to use my shield in my own defense
I can use Loner against, fighting ineffectively because I am trying to defend so many people rather than just myself

Sam
Ok, so margin of success 2 for you.
Regain 2 disposition.
That works.

Howard
(hooray!)

Steven
(yay!)

Tim
“Now, Fenring, Symeon, cleave that beast!”

Howard
So while the rat flails its claws and teeth against Stephen’s shield, I nail the filthy thing to it.

Sam
You batter the rat away from you and Symeon, setting it up for a mighty thrust from Fenring.
It is attacking you Fenring, sensing the threat.
Two successes.

Howard
6, 5, 4, 3, 1
I have a helmet and leather armor

Sam
Huzzah! With a fierce thrust, you harpoon the rat, and it hisses its last.

Steven
Victory!

Tim
take that, R.O.U.S.

Howard
I dislodge the point from Stephen’s shield, and use my foot to remove the carcass.

Sam
Well done gentlemen.

Howard
“That was something. Everyone alright?”

Tim
“Excellent work, Fenring. You too, Symeon. Good show.”

Sam
If you got a successful strike, don’t forget to mark your skill or ability, and the same for a failure.

Steven
“Just need to patch up my armor -nothing more.”

Sam
If you used beginners luck, mark an X in the square and then mark a success. You need as many uses as your nature to gain the skill.

Tim
“Not really any worse for wear. Unlike those rats, hah”

Howard
“When we get a chance I can help you with that.”

Sam
Ok, you guys were down by one point in the end I believe.
That means a minor
All of you guys are now angry. Angry at falling stairs, angry about giant rats. Angry at no beer.

Tim
SO ANGRY!

Howard
So we can’t use wises or beneficial traits until we calm the fcuk down.

Steven
Quite the evening, eh lads?

Sam
That is correct.
Wine in camp can help with that

Tim
YES! Quite the bloody evening”

Howard
“Not even a fecking beer.”

Sam
But you will need another check or two.

Howard
“Boyos, do we have any more rope or is this our only one?”

Steven
“I have mine”

Howard
I can fashion a ladder up so we can get out when we need to, but it’ll need to stay there.

Sam
Ok.

Tim
I did not come with rope, sadly

Steven
“Here. Take it.”

Sam
For a crunchy game this is surprisingly smooth.

Howard
I can see how this can get very deep very quickly tho-ugh
*though

Steven
I am glad I didn’t have to talk tonight, though – I can’t speak much currently

Tim
I will have to remember to use Chrome next time so leaving firefox open all the time doesn’t lag all to hell

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:52 PM
Torchbearer CRU-National

Sam
Excellent.
So which of you is going to volunteer for giving us the prologue this week?

Howard
Svet? Care to recap?

Steven
Certainly.

Howard
testing (lag)
and did Timothy join us?

Steven
On their way to try inn, known for its famous sour ale, a group of travelling companions – Fenring, Deacon Symeon and Stephen found renowned village abandoned. After investigating an ominous trail of blood leading from the livestock pens into the inn, the party entered the establishment. On inspection of the cellar, Symeon and Brother Stephen fell as the stairs leading down collapsed from under their feets. The group only had a short few moments to get their bearing, only to be attacked by very large rodents.
Though the companions defeated their foes, it came at some small cost and a great deal of irritation.
(Done)

Sam
excellent. My office has been invaded by a small fey creature of some kind. Let me see her off for a moment.

Howard
You can’t invite them into your house, Sam. Otherwise they won’t leave for decades, and cause all kinds of mischief.

Steven
Oh, Jujube. I know you know what I know. Stop smiling.

Howard
yeah, these emoticons are something.

Steven
Sam: May I aleve myself of my Angry condition?

Howard
are there ways of doing so without having to camp?

Steven
Yes. Giving the prologue.
You may alleviate a condition or restore a point of Nature

Sam
You may.

Steven
Unless the other players feel the prologue was rubbish.

Howard
It was accurate.

Steven
Sam: Danke.

Sam
So, you find yourselves standing in an apparently cold and damp, cellar that is so cramped with piles of broken furniture, it is a wonder anything could ever be brought up from it.
There are two apparent doors opposite the stairs. The door on the left is barely touched by the flickering torchlight as someone has gone to a great deal of trouble to pile up an intricate and heavy looking barrier in front of it, made out of the remains of an old oak table and several benches and chairs.

Howard
“Boys, I really want to improve our exit situatiojn before proceeding. I don’t want to leave the rope if we don’t have to.

Sam
To the right is a another wooden door, it has not been barricaded however.
The gouges in the floor (and the brown streaks) lead to the right.

Steven
“Agreed. We’ll need the rope, but we need a fast exit as well.”

Howard
“Should we have a look around?”

Steven
“By all means.”

Sam
“I am going to climb back out for a bit anyway, I want to leave a sign and not for passersby.” says Stephen.
“If you want I can secure the rope up top carefully.”

Howard
“Aye. Scream bloody murder to let us know if anything bad happens, holy man. But hurry back. Not sure we’d be able to help ye in time, though.”

Steven
“Try not to fall down on the way up, please.”
“I am not sure how many more spill you can take at this point.”

Howard
I have a look around at the barricade, the remains of the stairs and the rubble to see if anything can be improvised to serve as a stable means of ascent.

Sam
“I will hurry as best I can. The last thing I want on my conscience is a peasant or two falling to their death at the bottom of the broken stairs”

Steven
“Right. The Immortal Lords will be quite cross with us if /that/ happens.”

Sam
With your help, he scales the rubble with some difficulty and disappears with a wave into the Inn.

Steven
(Consulting the book. Please hold…)
Symeon also inspects the rubble, hoping to stumble on a quick and effective engineering solution with amongst the rubble.
(though is having no luck avoiding word rep)

Sam
Which pile? In front of the door or at the bottom of the stairs?

Steven
I investigate the shattered hulk that was once the stairs.

Sam
It has seen its last days.

Howard
I give the barricade a once-over, but give most of my attention to whatever’s strewn about the rest of the room. We’ll have to deal with the barricade soon enough, perhaps.

Sam
A carpenter might be able to do something useful with it, but little else is likely to suffice.
Mixed among the broken tables and chairs Fenring, you see that there is a bunch of bent and broken flatware and cutlery.
None of it high quality, all likely tin or other cheap metal.

Howard
“Uselessness.”

Steven
“The stairs are finished – not even suitable for scavenging”
“We’d have more luck making a ladder out of rat corpses.”

Sam
What are you going to do next Symeon?

Howard
I use the tip of my harpoon to gently lob a severed rat head at Symeon’s feet.

Sam
Who is holding the torch BTW?

Howard
“Best get to work, then.”
I had a torch lit.

Steven
I did as well
Oh, nevermind – lost that in the spill
or did I?

Sam
It dropped, but you recovered it.

Howard
I motion over to the other door
“Shall we?”

Steven
“Yes. No point waiting now.”
I give the second door a good once over.

Howard
While he inspects it smell the air and listen for more scurrying about, watching our back for more rats.

Sam
Looking at it in better light, you can see that there are many gouges and marks in the frame.
You see a few small round slightly iridescent and translucent disks embedded in the door frame.
Fenring, the air has a very distinct, almost spicy smell to it.
It burns your nostrils a bit.

Howard
Animal or veg?

Sam
It is coming from the door frame and the air coming through it. Animal, almost…musky.

Howard
I cook and hunt.

Steven
“Fenring, do you think the rats we just killed made these scratches?”

Sam
Give me a Hunter test Fenring.

Howard
I’m looking for spoor or territorial markings
the smell is coming from the door? Do i see the little…disks?

Sam
Yes
You think they might be scales of some kind.

Howard
(my hunter is 2 but it’s a specialty)
so I roll 3?

Steven
“I am not sure what to make of these saucers in the door frame.”

Howard
“Fish?”

Steven
(How big are these disks?)

Sam
I have not found any place where it says there is a bonus for your specialty, I think it is just to keep the players from overlapping.
WAIT
I forgot, I was supposed to give out rewards at the end of the game last time.
I will make this faster than normal. You both get two fate points.

Howard
hooray!

Steven
(woot)

Sam
Continuing.

Howard
I rolled a 6 and a 1.

Sam
They are about the size of a thumbnail.
Ah!

Steven
(Ok – not saucers)

Sam
Now, would you like to spend a fate point for a chance to roll the 6 again for another? The ob was 2 for this roll.

Howard
(certainly. Are there narrative mechanics to spending fate points?)
phew! a 5.

Sam
For rerolling 6’s it is just considered luck.

Howard
I pull out one of the scales and sniff it, hold it up to the torchlight

Sam
Kobolds. Kobold territorial musk and scales.

Howard
(“finest quality, bearing maker’s serial number 1127. Not fish. Kobald scale!”)
“Bugger.”

Sam
By the strength of the musk and the number of scales, a large number of them.

Steven
(Ha! I was thinking the same)

Sam
(hehehe)

Steven
(Do you buy kobolds from the Arab? All the time)

Sam
Mark that you spent a fate point. It gets you part way to leveling.

Howard
“You ever heard of the Kobalds, brother?”

Sam
You need to spend three of each fate and persona to go up a level.

Steven
“Only in books and stories.”
“And that one story about the Immortal Lord Sigurda and the legion she, well…nevermind”

Sam
(and mark the successful skill use)

Steven
“That’s not for the laity.”

Sam
Your torches have flickered out while you studied the scales and door.

Steven
“So, yes. Kobolds. They are real?”

Howard
“My people talk of the Suebi, who tell tales. Some said they were gods once. Gods aren’t what they used to be. Now they’re vermin. But cunning little shits.”
(that should have read “who tell tales of them.”)

Steven
(got it)

Howard
“This smells like a whole rotten nest of them.”

Steven
“Enough to kill a village and their livestock?”

Howard
I shrug, then nod.

Steven
“Kobolds. Very Nasty. You go first.”

Sam
What are you doing now Fenring? Also who lights a new torch?

Steven
Symeon lights a new torch.

Howard
We try the door?

Sam
The door swings open under your pull Fenring. It was sealed well, but also well maintained. A gust of chill air blows past you on it opening.

Steven
“Do you propose we just sneak and see if they stashed all the ale? What is your intent??”

Tim
A mysterious paladin appears?

Sam
Inside you see a room with stone covered walls and a low ceiling.
“Gentlemen, I have finished erecting my warning sign and am descending to meet you!” Shouts Stephen.
He quickly climbs down.

Tim
“Couldn’t have people falling in holes.”

Steven
“Wonderful timing, Stephen. Fenring found kobolds.”

Howard
“That’s our burden. So, this is what we’re up against.” I had him the scale.
*hand

Steven
“Right then.” (pockets scale)

Howard
(i was handing to Stephen)
It’s about the size of a thumbnail.

Sam
The ceiling has wooden rafters from which hang a multitude of hooks for aging meats and game — all now empty.

Steven
(oops)
(I pocket air)

Sam
You now smell the musk and the strong scent of urine mixed in with it.

Tim
“huh, very small indeed. Kobolds? What terrible creatures.”

Sam
A salted ham, gnawed to the bone, lies near the door. Aside from a clear space where the gouges and splinters show that something was dragged through this room, the floor is covered in rubbish and debris.

Howard
“A lot of them by the smell of it. But how did they wind up in the cellar?”
Are there any obvious exits other than the one we came through?

Tim
“Burrowing? Perhaps from a heretofore unknown cavern system?”

Steven
“Yes. Perhaps they came up from caves. That is their natural home, isn’t it?”

Sam
A cursory glance around doesn’t show any holes Fenring, but it is pretty dark with only the torchlight.
What are each of you doing?

Tim
I am standing at the edge of the torchlight, in dimness, farthest down the hall such that my allies are behind me, and keeping watch

Sam
(also, Tim, go now and create your OP account and sign up for the page. I will give you your reward when you are finished )
So you are going into the stone cold room?
There is really no hallway. Just the cold room attached to the cellar where you climbed/fell.

Howard
My Goal is to figure out what happened here, I’m trying to do my best to look for anything that could give me a better idea of what happened here.

Sam
So you are searching the rubble in the cold room Fenring?

Steven
I am providing light for Fenring

Sam
Following the gouges and blood trail?

Steven
I go with him

Tim
(will do, Sam, soon as I can get my laptop to stop being a dick)

Steven
“Lead the way. You know what to follow.”

Howard
The trail of blood seems like a nice, obvious lead.

Sam
Heheh

Tim
I will follow the trail of blood with caution.

Sam
You follow the trail to the far wall, and push what is now upon closer inspection a hastily constructed barrier out of the way. Beyond it is a 3.5 foot diameter hole in the wall. It is surrounded by loose bricks and packed with wet earth.
It would be easy to widen it.

Howard
“Here, lads.”

Tim
Is anyone good with these kinds of things? I don’t wish to collapse it on myself.

Steven
I shine the torch into the hole
“What do we have here?”
“Could a kobold scamper through this?”

Tim
“I would suspect so, they are quite small.”

Howard
“Something dragged some bleeding souls through here, and it reeks of Kobalds.”

Sam
The torch pops and stutters violently from the air blowing in. On the other side you can make out the floor of a natural cave. With your head now down near the hole, the hair on the back of your neck stands on end. You can faintly hear the sound of someone one crying out in pain and then sobbing faintly echoing in the cave.

Tim
(Made the account, Sam, will do a character bio. Whose is posted?)

Sam
(mine)

Tim
“We must save that poor soul!”

Sam
(Tim 2 fate points)

Steven
“Here’s the cave. Someone is inside!
"

Sam
You then hear a constant susurrus of chitters, clicks, and hisses.

Steven
“Someone take this torch and the other help me with this hole.”
Symeon starts dislodging bricks

Tim
I take the torch
could we push our way through without widening the hole? For expedience?

Sam
The wall quickly comes apart. It was clearly knocked open recently and hastily put back together.

Howard
I offer the mallet I use for crafting to one of the brothers, and use my hammer to start knocking bricks and rubble loose.

Steven
“I hear something else. Do you hear that? The clicking?”

Tim
“Yes, sounds like the gibbering nonsense of foul beings.”

Sam
Once open, you step into the cave that has been revealed. In here a slight vinegary tang tickles your nostrils in the slick walled limestone tunnel.
Stalactites and stalagmites form a maze of teeth here; some have grown together to form pilars.

Tim
snorts dismissively at the stench

Sam
The agonized wails and other whispers are louder here, echoing throughout the tunnel. Whatever is causing the terrible sounds must be close by.

Tim
I would like to take a second and try to map this so we don’t get lost

Steven
Is there any path or trail that can be made out of the natural rock? Anything clear or obvious?
“Do you get the feeling they have been playing the game with the whole damnable village’s inhabitants?”

Sam
The tunnel goes off to the north and to the south from here. (Tim go ahead. Is that an instinct or an action on your part?)

Howard
“To be fair I bet the cave was here before the tavern.”

Tim
"
Seems that way. Which is a shame. We will vanquish these creatures." (it is an action)
(I got one success on my cartography test)

Sam
Stephen takes a moment to work on his map.

Steven
“Certainly. I’m sure it was a very inconvenient and thoughtless cellar”

Sam
(Not enough Tim, Ob 2 is your basic minimum)

Tim
(So until I am no longer injured, I shouldn’t even bother)

Sam
(If you got any 6’s you can spend a fate point to re-roll it, or if a wise of yours would help, you can spend it and reroll a fail)

Steven
“But they’ve sorted it all out, by the look of things.”

Tim
(I am angry, I can’t use wises)
(And unless I am mapping a horse, this wouldn’t help)

Steven
(brb)

Tim
“Well, let us venture forth carefully, swords at the ready, gents”

Howard
While I note the trail of blood and its direction, I’m mostly just trying ot be alert for sentries or alarms of any sort

Steven
(back)

Tim
(Oh, what is the deal with excess test outcomes? If I need 2s and 1f, do I keep track of a second fail anyway?0

Sam
(Tim, that is an excellent time to use your traits against you if you know you are going to fail, assuming your team mates don’t mind risking a twist)

Steven
(I’m okay with it)

Tim
(I will keep that in mind, although I’m not sure how Loner and Defender could work for mapping)

Sam
(no, it will all reset when you raise it, so no need to keep extras)

Howard
(I won’t object)
(Loner has a lot of possibilities)

Sam
(They won’t work WITH it, but you might be able to use defender by saying you can’t concentrate well enough because you are concerned about taking your eyes off your teammates)

Steven
(He’s too vigilant in a time like this to map effectively)

Tim
(Ah, yes! Creative brain meats all used for chemistries today.)

Sam
(I will even retcon it this time since it was pretty obvious it wasn’t going to work, so you can have a check!)

Tim
(Hooray, retcon!)
So, yes, while trying to map I am too busy keeping an eye out for kobolds and end up putting my pen right through the parchment instead of actually making a map.

Steven
“Stephen, what are you doing with that parchment? We are going inside. C’mon already.”

Sam
The echoing of the screams comes again, reverberating off of the walls of the tunnel.

Tim
“All the hells, we should follow the trail with haste!”

Howard
“After you, gentlefolk.”
I let them lead.
Still keeping an eye out for ambushes

Steven
Having the torch, I go forward

Sam
The tunnel goes to the north and the south, with no obvious trail going either direction.

Steven
I do my best to follow the trail of blood over the natural rock.

Sam
Ok,

Steven
No blood?

Sam
hang on.
Give me a hunter check Symeon.
Ob 3

Steven
Um. I only have 2 dice with BL. Nope.
I could try nature
Just a sec

Sam
Which of your descriptors would apply?

Tim
Could I use my skills finding trails in unknown wildlands to find our way here?

Sam
You could, but are currently following Symeon, so he has to make the test on his own.

Howard
I’ll help
I have Hunter of 2 (and it’s my specialty for whatever the hells that’s worth)

Sam
However, as you are following him through the stone teeth, a moving shadow catches your eye. Something. small and hunched darting from tooth to tooth.

Steven
I thoughtfully assess the situation, noting I am Brave

Sam
Unfortunately Fenring, you were busy watching for ambushes, so I can’t let you help either.

Steven
“Just a moment. I need to get my bearings here”

Tim
“Hold on, what was that?”

Steven
May I use Running and boost it with thoughtful?

Sam
Umm, creative, but no. This is more of a slow and careful searching sort of activity.

Steven
Fair enough. I fail BL.

Sam
(FWIW, using your trait against yourself then would have been the right thing to do)

Howard
Who among us sees the small thing moving amonst the stones?

Steven
On a roll that can only fail ever? That doesn’t seem quite fair.

Howard
*amongst

Sam
Stephen, sorry, didn’t make that clear.
It is actually expected.

Steven
I also have no applicable traits.

Sam
Desired and planned for even.

Tim
“I saw something moving among the teeth, I am not sure what, but probably a kobold, be alert.”

Sam
Keep in mind when using them against a roll, you have to figure out why your trait would make it harder for you to succeed, which is usually a lot easier to pull off.

Steven
I get that.

Sam
For instance I am thoughtful, and all the misleading signs are making it very difficult for me to make up my mind.

Steven
Thoughful is a skill.
not a trait

Sam
It is?

Steven
Anycase – I get it.

Sam
Ok

Steven
I got a 2 and a 3
“Let’s go /this/ way”

Howard
My question may have been buried. Who of us sees the thing darting about the stones?

Sam
Stephen

Tim
It may also have been missed that I said, “I saw something moving, be alert.”

Sam
Symeon, you can’t seem to figure out where the trail leads and quickly become frustrated. (mark the check for you BL, and take the angry condition)

Steven
“I can’t make heads or tails of where they came from.”

Tim
(Do I have any idea from where the moving thing came?)

Sam
So what are each of you doing then?

Steven
“There’s no blood to follow.”

Sam
From the north and was moving south.

Steven
I keep looking for somewhere safe we can walk

Howard
I’m doing my best to keep a tight formation. “Stay together lads. Call out what you see!”

Tim
“I think we should head northward, that’s where the shadow I saw moving came from”

Steven
I look northward. What do I see?

Howard
Which way does the blood trail go?

Sam
More cave going off into the distance.
It is a mess of blood drops and dripping water here Fenring. Not much a trail to be had.

Steven
“I have lost the trail of blood/”
“Rotten cave water covered their tracks.”
“We can go north. Let’s try it.”
I slowly trek north, keeping the party informed of what I see.

Howard
“At least everyone probably knows we’re here now. I’d hate to surprise anyone.”

Tim
I follow closely behind Symeon.
“Justice needs not surprise, although it can be a helpful element.”

Steven
“I would have rather crashed the party. But no use worrying about it now.”

Howard
Presently we’re all Angry, but one of us, Saint Stephen is injured, yes?

Sam
You wind through the stones, and then all of you stop for a moment when the shadow moves again. This time a shape comes out of the darkness, it is the shape of a little girl. Her long a wet hair is matted and hangs in front of her face.

Tim
“A saint I am not, but I am injured, yes.”
I motion her over with my holy symbol.

Steven
“Lads, I think I see…a girl/”

Sam
She peers up at you from between the long brown and muddy locks and says “Are you hear to save my mum?” is cracked and quivering childlike voice.

Steven
/
?

Sam
She is perhaps 6 years old.

Steven
“Where is your mother?”

Tim
(If this little girl is a fucking werewolf….)

Sam
She is dressed in filthy rags that appear to have been a pretty if humble dress.
(stab her now!)

Tim
“We’re here to help, yes, where can we find your mum?”
“What is your name, little one? How did you come to be in this place?”

Sam
“She is that way.” She points north. “Ronwald is going to roast her and the others for the kobolds”

Steven
“Ronwald? Can you tell us what happened?”

Tim
“Roast her for kobolds?! This will not do.”

Sam
“My name is Elsa. The kobolds took us all one night. They had wicked spears and knives. They took us first, the children, and then told our parents that they would kill us if they didn’t come as well. The brought all the stuff from the Inn, so’s Ronwald could do the roasting right.”

Steven
How did you get free?

Tim
“Elsa, it isn’t safe for you here, child, but trying to escape on your own won’t be safe either.”

Sam
“I snuck away when the kobolds weren’t looking. They didn’t tie me well and I have small hands.”

Steven
We have to take her back or keep her with us.

Howard
I roll my eyes at Symeon asking a human child to try to tell a story. I turn to the kid, completely flat and deadpan: “You there. Wee human. Ah, Elsa. Lovely name. Right. Who’s still alive? Forget names. How many?”

Sam
“Umm, ten I think. Ten.”

Tim
“Ten, excellent. If we free them can they fight?”

Sam
She says after looking like she is counting in her head, her fingers twitching.
I don’t think so. Most are pretty beat up. The kobolds says it helps make the meats tender.

Tim
(this is the first time, maybe ever, in an RPG that I am legitimately afraid of kobolds. I am always afraid of little girls in caves."

Steven
“I’m sure her logistics are as splendid as her storytelling”

Sam
Then hits them.

Howard
(please pause)

Sam
(paused)

Steven
(ok)

Howard
(ok, back)

Steven
(game on)

Howard
So lads, should we have her lead us?
""

Steven
“I think that is best.”

Sam
“I have been down here for a long time, and the kobolds haven’t found me.”

Tim
“Yes, Elsa. Can you show us the way? Take my hand and lead on.”

Steven
“Wonderful. Now if you can help us be that lucky, maybe we can help the others too.”

Sam
“Ok, but you have to help my mum”
She move forward, toward the North of the tunnel.

Steven
I follow her, torch in hand

Howard
Does Stephen have a shield?

Tim
I keep a sword in one hand, and her tiny hand in the other so I can defend her easily if things go pear shaped
I do, but I have it on my back at the moment

Howard
or the Deacon?

Sam
She moves from stone to stone until she reaches an opening in the north wall of the cavern. She motions you to the opening and whispers “Through here”

Steven
(No shield for me. I have a hammer)

Tim
“Elsa, do they speak the human tongue?”

Steven
Syemon takes a look at the opening

Sam
The tunnel leading out of the cavern narrows sharply and then turns to the east. As you come around the turn she stops abruptly and you can see a dim light ahead coming out of a cavern at the end of the tunnel.

Steven
whispering someone’s coming
“…hide”
Symeon quickly motions to the nearest shadows

Sam
“Yes, but they don’t speak well. Like Robart. Peter told me his mum dropped him on his head and that is why he talks funny.

Tim
I do my best to hide in the shadows

Sam
She whispers in response.

Steven
Once people hide, I extinguish the torch

Tim
“They will understand threats, at least” whispered

Steven
I prepare my hammer

Sam
The chittering sound is louder here, coming from the cavern at the end of the tunnel where the light is coming from.

Tim
I position Elsa behind me, and prepare my sword

Steven
Symeon hides last
at last

Howard
I let the gangly ones crouch down, I just find an advantageous spot to stand and survey as wide an area as possible. I’m not paying as much attention to where we’re going.

Sam
You hear the chittering stop suddenly, and then the sound of something clattering, and then loud shreaking shouts echo up the tunnel to you.

Tim
“All the hells, we best move up there NOW. If you lot won’t follow me, I will do it myself!”

Steven
“Oh, my cunting luck. They are on to us.”

Tim
I quickly look down the hallway, if there is still light at the end of it I move very quickly toward the opening

Sam
Alright. Symeon? Fenring? Stephen seems to be taking the bull by the horns.

Steven
I look to see where Elsa is

Sam
She is slipping off into the shadows heading south.

Howard
I rush to find a defensible corner that’s not immediately obvious, where I can either ambush them or let them pass. if the child is in my path I sweep her up so she’ll be behind me.

Steven
I also am looking for a point to flank whatever may attack Stephen

Tim
are they coming this way down the hall or are they still at the other end of it?

Sam
They don’t actually seem to be approaching, although it has gotten quiet again as you are moving down the tunnel.

Tim
all right, there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Sam
You make your way another thirty feet through the dark tunnel, narrowly missing a few low stones getting ever closer to the light source.
Your foot however catches on something and you feel a slight tug.
(this is Stephen)
(Yes)

Tim
“Well shit.”
I try to yank my foot away from whatever is tugging on it

Steven
(oh shit)

Sam
There is suddenly an eardrum shattering crash and the sound of metal clanging on metal fills the tunnel
The sound feels like it is raining down around you.

Howard
“Don’t get too…” I cover my ears.

Sam
At the end of the tunnel the light is obscured as shapes form up in the tunnels entrance.

Steven
I cover my ears and get back to cover

Tim
I take a step backwards, stand tall and imposing in the tunnel, and begin shouting over the din

Sam
It looks like the lead ones motion to the others (judging by the shadows) and several run off.

Steven
Is Stephen in a place where I can easily grab him and get him out of the tunnel?

Howard
I turn to look down the tunnel. Is it collapsing?

Steven
or is there just too much falling down?

Sam
No, he is 30+ feet ahead of you.
No it doesn’t appear to be collapsing. You can see in the dim light that the tunnel is full of pots and pans and flatware. Stephen is nearly surrounded by it.

Tim
LISTEN YOU SCOUNDRELS, YOU PUSTULENT BOILS UPON THE ARSE OF THE WORLD, I AM STEPHEN OF THE ORDER OF THE EVER SHINING SUN! MARK MY WORDS I WILL HUNT YOU UNTIL NONE REMAIN, THIS I SWEAR TO YOU UPON THE NAMES OF ALL THE LORDS OF LIFE. HEAR MY VOICE AND TREMBLE FOR I AM YOUR DOOM.”
I slowly begin to march toward the figures, in a determined fashion. It’s just flatware, it can’t possibly be that dangerous.

Steven
I look for Fenring
and Elsa

Tim
(I am hoping to use my oratory skills and natural boastfulness to at least frighten them a little)

Howard
I stand at the tunnel; entrance, watching Stephen march past the alarms. “I bet they got all that and are moved.”
Symeon? Elsa? C’mon.

Steven
“I’m here. Let’s get him out of there.”

Tim
(Elsa is probably a werewolf)
(she is going to kill us later)

Sam
A sibilant voice “Come closer. We want to see you”

Steven
“I don’t like that one bit.”

Sam
From the end of the tunnel.
Elsa is no where to be seen.
Are you and Symeon hanging back or are you going to get involved in Stephens attempts to scare them off?

Tim
I put shield in one hand, sword in the other, and move toward the end of the tunnel. whisper to the others stay hidden, I think I can distract them

Steven
“The girl is gone. It may the most sensible things anyone has done since we stepped in here. How are we going to save the paladin?”
No, Symeon is with Fenring, trying to hammer out a plan

Sam
Ok

Howard
Do I hear Stephen say that?

Steven
How wide is the passage?

Sam
Fenring, yes you hear him. Alright. Stephen. You are in a conflict with the group of Kobolds you now see hiding behind the broken stones.
This is going to be a convince crowd.

Tim
all right

Sam
Roll your orator and add it to your will.

Howard
I motion to Symeon to get on one side of the tunnel entrance and I’ll get on the other
weapons drawn, of course.

Sam
The tunnel entrance is only about 12 feet wide.

Steven
I nod in acknowledgement and take my place
and yes, the hammer has been ready ever since the first time we tried to set an ambush

Tim
Three successes, can I use a fate point to reroll that 6 as another die?

Sam
It is full of boulders and standing stones though.
Yes

Tim
6, 5, 4, 1 were the rolls

Sam
Also, what specifically are you trying to convince them of.
?

Tim
ehn, extra die is a 3, but was worth a shot

Sam
Yup. Don’t forget to mark that you spent it.
One step closer to level 2

Tim
I am trying to convince them that I am a powerful warrior for good, and that they should be afraid
perhaps scared enough to leave the humans and run
So my disposition is going to be 7

Sam
Hmm, I am pretty sure they already think that. Was there some specific action you wanted them to take as a result?
Ah, ok. Gotcha

Tim
I want them to leave the humans and flee from this place

Sam
Ok
(this is an interesting question, I don’t know what the rules are about joining a conflict after it has started)

Howard
ok, think about thiis
we are ultimately all coordinating an ambush
if they flee, we don’t have to ambush anyone

Tim
I think that’s right

Steven
Agreed

Sam
Sounds good.

Howard
if they attack him, I think Brother Stephen will run past us and we’ll blindside his pursuers.

Steven
and we’ll all be part of the conflict at that point

Sam
Ok Tim, they are trying to intimidate you back, maybe make you back down and leave.

Steven
no real “joining”

Howard
if they run, I’ll be impressed and take back the eyeroll I secretly made.

Sam
Right, two different conflicts.

Howard
(Fenring, not me)

Sam
Ok Stephen, what are your actions for the first volley.

Tim
What do I declare as a weapon?
Attack, Feint, Defend

Howard
Holy Wrath?

Sam
We will call this an argument of sorts, so that would be intimidation being used as a weapon, so +1s to maneuvers

Tim
Can I declare my sword to get the +1s to things?

Sam
Not in this case.
It specifically says for kill, capture and drive off I believe.
You are the intimidating part of the package, not necessarily the sword. Although it is cool.
Ok, they chose A, A, D

Tim
the description for sword says +1D for any kind of action for a conflict, but makes sense for kill/drive off
the attacks are independent?

Sam
Yes
I will inquire about the sword on the forum.
For now go with only fighting related conflicts getting the bonus.

Tim
sure, makes sense. I get two successes on my attack (6, 3, 4, 3) and I will spend a fate point to reroll that six
and that reroll is a 4, so three successes on the attack.
“You are all wastes of the very air you breathe, pathetic creatures beneath even my contempt. Leave from this place, take your wretchedness with you.”

Sam
The half dozen kobolds shout, and one stands on a flat stone carved as a table. He rises up and with a hissing sound a brightly colored red crest rises from his head and down his back. He shakes a large clay flask at you. “He says there are many of us long-shanks, and only one of you. We will feast on your giblets”
(Three successes over here)

Tim
okay
so my second action was a feint, and theirs was attack

Sam
Correct. So that is an independent roll for them, and nothing for you I believe.

Tim
yup, just me twiddling my thumbs and hoping I don’t get scared and run off

Sam
Ouch, ok, three more successes. Hot dice tonight.

Tim
I was trying to trick them into thinking I’m scared

Steven
(lol)

Tim
My last action is defend

Sam
“We fill find your family and eat them when we are finished with you.” Three more hop up on the stone now with him. Gnashing their teeth and their tails whipping back and forth.
As is theirs.

Tim
6, 4, 4, 3, so three successes

Sam
Excellent.

Tim
“I have no family, so you shall surely starve.”

Sam
The ones on the stones reach down and grab the others and pull them up as well.

Tim
can I take two of the same action, so long as it’s not in a row?

Sam
Ok, next volley. You can take the same action all you want. You are the only actor so it is up to you.

Tim
ah, okay, D, A, D

Howard
“He bloody better run.”
(I say under my breath)

Sam
MAA

Tim
first test is vs?

Sam
“Come, we will give you a running chance.”
Yes

Tim
“The only running I shall do is my blade through your guts.”

Sam
Ouch, only one success.

Tim
3, 4, 4, 4 – three successes

Steven
“Lords, spare me.”

Tim
do I recover the margin, is that the deal?

Sam
Yes
MF’er
I just remembered these guys are might 2.
Add an extra success and I will knock off another point of disposition from them.

Tim
being lower might means I get +1s?

Sam
Yes

Howard
Makes sense.

Sam
Ok last one. Opposed.

Tim
umm…we only did one

Sam
Oh.

Tim
I Think the middle two were both attack
I got four successes (already counting the +1)

Sam
Right, just saw that. (We need torchbot!) They got four as well.

Tim
“Can you even see over a table? How will you feast upon me?”

Steven
(I’m working on it)]

Tim
and then the last is opposed

Sam
“We are many, without numbers. We are coming for you now”. They leap from the stones and begin skulking toward you slowly.

Howard
I stifle a shout. “Oh that’s just cheap, you gangly pious wanker…”
(again, under my breath…)

Tim
“Only without numbers because you cannot count!”

Steven
Symeon stifles a chuckle

Tim
I got three successes on the defend

Sam
Three on the attack.
Tied up.

Tim
null!

Sam
Ok next volley.

Tim
I will take a check on my Loner trait to break the tie in my opponent’s favor

Sam
Ok. Take another point of disposition.

Tim
I feel as if I would be better by myself, but I am constantly worrying about the allies behind me

Steven
With all of this smack talking, I take some more time to inspect my surroundings, just in case we missed a way around

Tim
This worry is really cutting into my oratory skills.

Sam
Heh, Symeon, you get a better look at the room the Kobolds were in, it is definitely some sort of guard room. It looks as if they have knocked the stones around to make excellent barriers and defensive positions, and getting them out of the room in a fighter would be tough.
I am ready for the next volley.

Tim
D, A, A

Sam
AAA

Tim
three suceses on D

Sam
One success on the firs tone.

Tim
“I have seen more frightening children.”

Sam
Now that they have gotten closer and gotten a better look at you, the ones in the back have slowed down and don’t seem as thrilled to be facing off against somebody in armor and wielding an actual sword.

Tim
“Yes, COME CLOSER! The tip of my sword is waiting.”

Sam
Next volley

Tim
four successes on the second action

Sam
One success

Tim
“Yes, this is an actual sword. It is quite sharp, and it has bested many better than you.”
two successes on the last action

Sam
Your sword whistles through the air so close to the lead one, when he finally realizes he is standing by himself. He looks left and right and then lets out a strange throaty honking sound before turning and leading the retreat through the tunnel leading out of the guard room at the north.

Tim
(Paladin FTW)

Sam
Ok. So the conflict is over.
Did you come out having lost any disposition. You should have lost one in the second round.
Was that all you had lost at that point?

Tim
I lost four total

Sam
I meant how many were you down at the end.

Tim
four

Sam
Ouch.

Tim
they got me down to like 2 at one point
that round of all attacks was harsh

Howard
How does that work in the aftermath of a verbal battle?

Sam
Ok. You aren’t going to run, but as a compromise for the conflict, you are now pretty terrified of what an entire nest of them might be like. You receive the afraid condition.

Tim
I need years of therapy.
That’s reasonable.
Stephen is visibly shaken from having faced down an entire horde of kobolds by himself.

Howard
I head down the hallway towards him, and pat him on the shoulder.

Tim
“Let us investigate this guard room, then perhaps camp, I am in poor spirits.”

Sam
The room is lit by many small candles on top of the stones. It is full of refuse and rubbish. Your sinuses burn from the smell of stale urine and their musk.
There is a narrow passage leading off to the north (where they ran) and another leading off to the south east.

Tim
Stephen timidly limps into the guard room. “Do they not know that one should not shit where one eats?”

Howard
“That was something. We’re gonna probably have to kill them later, but I’m impressed, Holy Man.”

Howard
“I somehow doubt Kobald cuisine makes too many fine distinctions.”
I have a look around. Anything useful?

Tim
“I think calling it cuisine might be a bit of a misnomer.”

Sam
For the record, this room is perhaps not the safest place to camp. You know the kobolds are probably nearby. The safest place you know of is probably back in the cellar, with that door to the cold room locked.

Tim
yes, I was not suggesting camping here

Steven
“we should find where Elsa went and get some distance from the beasties.”

Sam
Rotting furs, and meat bones (heavily gnawed) make up the lions share of what is lying around here Fenring.

Steven
“As the Immortal Lords have clearly given us an out for the moment.”
“I’m sure the Abbey will never hear the end of this.”

Howard
I collect the candles.
(You said there were candles, yes?)

Sam
There are eight in total yes.

Steven
(i believe candles were mentioned)

Tim
“For now, but I fear not for long. We shall bring holy fire down upon this place in the end.”

Steven
(oops)

Sam
So two pack slots for them all.

Howard
If we’re heading straight back I can throw them in my large sack which is neatly folded in my pack.

Sam
Also, you are all now hungry and thirsty.
So you are going to make camp?

Howard
Which one of the holy men is injured?

Sam
Stephen I believe.

Tim
Yes

Howard
And Afraid, and Angry, and Hungry/Thirsty.
“You’d think they’d have at least left us a beer.”

Tim
yes. I am a walking condition encyclopedia

Howard
“Greedy sots.”

Tim
I just need to collect exhausted and sick, I’ll have the whole set. “Pit about the beer. Where has Elsa gotten too?”

Sam
She doesn’t appear to be anywhere nearby.

Howard
“Alright, Symeon, we need to get this one back someplace safer before he falls down. If we see the girl, we’ll take her along, but you get to take care of her.”

Steven
“The last I saw her, she headed back towards the cellar.”
“Aye.”

Tim
“That’s a good girl. Let’s head that way. The path back to here isn’t so hard.”

Howard
“I’m sure she’s probably the opal of her mum’s eye, but I can’t stand to look at wee humans.”

Sam
(hehehe)

Tim
“I was one not so very long ago, bit of a soft spot for them.”

Howard
“They’re so….wrong and.. gahhh. with their big heads and stick bodies.”
“Still, she had manners.”

Tim
“Are you sure you don’t just envy that they can reach the high cupboards, Fenring?

Steven
“I’ll make sure she doesn’t try to eat you in the night.”

Sam
Ok, you arrive back to the cellar and I assume pin the door shut best you can.

Steven
“Thought she did look quite peckish.”

Tim
We pin it shut with EXTREME PREJUDICE

Howard
“That’s two, Paladin.”

Tim
“I’ve nothing but respect for your kind and your prowess, but you do make yourself an easy target for good natured teasing.”

Steven
I help Stephen with the barricade

Howard
(so one spent check will let us make camp?)

Tim
I think just having one is sufficient

Sam
You just need the check, you don’t actually spend it.

Steven
Good point

Howard
Good.

Sam
Ok, anything happening as part of the making of camp? Some instincts can come into play, but not normally.

Howard
I say nothing in reply but get to work setting up camp.

Tim
unless rituals or theology will help, I’m next to useless at it

Sam
Ok, somebody give me a 2d6 roll, add them together.

Steven
I can tend to wounds, if needed.

Sam
You don’t want low.

Howard
My gathering the candles was a result of my instinct “Always try to procure whatever equipment that will help us before proceeding”

Sam
Excellent.

Howard
We’ll need light in a cellar with no windows and I’d rather not waste ours.

Steven
I can roll

Tim
“This is good thinking, Fenring.”

Steven
(rolling)
8

Sam
Phew, bottom of the margin for a safe camp.
Time to spend those checks.

Tim
okay, who has what?

Howard
I’m going to gather bits of the staircase and drag them back into the room for kindling if we need to cook or make some tea.

Tim
I have four checks

Howard
I have Cook, 2, Armorer 2

Steven
I have no checks
Healer 3

Sam
Ok, so you go around in turn, each spending a check. You can’t go more than once in a row, and everybody has to go each time around. That means you need to share checks you earn in order to spend more of them.

Tim
so the Healer skill is Ob 3 vs injured

Sam
Fenring, would you like to cook for the group? It sounds like that might have been your plan.

Howard
I have one check.

Sam
Tim, yes, he will need a check though, I assume from you.

Tim
so we have five total

Howard
I was going to cook. I’d tell jokes but I’m not funny.

Sam
Heheh

Tim
doesn’t stop me

Sam
Are you cooking with fresh or preserved rations?

Howard
All I have is preserved, but if someone else has fresh rations I could try to stretch them out a bit.

Tim
I also only have preserved

Steven
likewise

Sam
Ok, your cook ob is 3 in that case.
(no threat of twist or condition, so don’t worry)

Tim
is everyone besides me just hungry & angry?

Sam
You can help each other also, without spending checks.

Howard
We’re all Angry and Hungry/Thirsty.
So yeah, I’d like some help with this.

Tim
I can’t help because I’m scared

Sam
Also, I read a little while ago that you have to heal conditions in the descending order on the chart.

Steven
just a second
Can BL be used to help? I have some vague memory reading it couldn’t

Tim
oh, well that makes sense but means I’ma be hurt for awhile

Steven
I don’t have any skill that can be used to help with cook

Sam
It cannot. Nature can if the descriptor applies.

Tim
“I DEMAND THAT YOU BE DELICIOUS!”
sorry, that was ooc

Steven
More like “I am going to pass out if I don’t get something to eat soon.”

Howard
Stephen is rambling at this point.

Steven
“As I am a little overwrought at the moment”

Sam
Ok, I recommend that you drink your wine/water first to deal with hungry/thristy. Then use the checks to try and get the other conditions alleviated.
You can still cook, but it wont require a roll, you just use rations from each perosn.

Howard
can I spend a fate point to try to make the roll anyway?

Sam
Yes.

Howard
otherwise i’ll never improve my cooking skills.
4,6
there’s a chance this could work!

Steven
Hey!

Howard
2

Steven
Sad Jujube is sad.

Sam
You can spend another to re-roll a failed die if you have a wise that might work.
What are your wises?

Howard
Alas.

Tim
he’s angry, he can’t use wises

Howard
Foul-weather wise, and Appraisal-wise.

Sam
I think this is different. Fateing it should still work. Yeah, neither of those would do it.
Well, you got the fail tic
And spent a reward. Both good.

Howard
In any case, no miracles. No loaves and fishes tonight.
Eat your damn salt-cod.

Sam
Ok that was the first check.
Everybody feels better having eaten.

Tim
okay so we have four left

Howard
and everyone mark off a ration.

Sam
I recommend that Tim, you spend one and drink some wine and give a go to getting rid of your angry next.
That will give you a +1D to your roll to recover with the wine.

Tim
ah, okay, that’s what I will do. angry is ob2 will, so I have 5D with the wine, four successes

Howard
(the last 2 weeks in NY have been shite)

Tim
hooray! not angry anymore!

Sam
Excellent!

Sam
Now Symeon. Heal away for your third one.

Steven
Ob 3?

Tim
well, if I am still afraid, doesn’t that have to be dealt with before injured?

Steven
can anyone lend anything?

Sam
My list here has afraid below injured.
Oh, this is a different ordered list I am looking at. This is the grind list.

Tim
Ah, injured is below afraid on the char sheet

Steven
Yes
Here we go
5,2,5. Blech.
Sorry
“Stop your infernal shaking!”

Sam
Don’t sweat it Symeon. We were just discovering you couldn’t do it right now anyway.

Steven
how so?
Oh, the afraid
I can’t do fuck all about that.

Tim
why don’t symeon and fenring each use one of my checks to deal with angry

Sam
Yes.

Howard
hang on, is Symeon afraid?

Steven
No – Stephen is

Sam
No, Stephen is.

Howard
ahh.

Steven
Can’t heal him until he calms down

Howard
I’m okay being angry.
how many checks are left?
three?

Sam
I was also looking at healing, and you should look at making poultices when you are in town next.
Three

Steven
(yes, I saw that)

Sam
Get liquored up and huff a poultice and you are almost guaranteed to get over your anger.

Steven
My wises and traits are mostly better in town, so being angry is fine

Howard
Ok, so you two go calm down while I curse at this stupid fecking salt cod that came out all shite.

Sam
So Symeon, care to quaff your wine and get happy?

Howard
“then heal the poor bugger.”

Steven
Hmm, didn’t I just use that to deal with hungry/thirsty?
Fine. (quaff)

Sam
Nah, that was your rations, so give yourself a +1D to your will roll for recovering from anger.

Steven
4,6,6,4,6
Wow
I’m fine

Sam
Holy crap. You are one mellow dude. You are abiding.

Steven
I could use that roll with healing instead

Howard
(Robert Smith jumps out from nowhere holding a giant foil sun, singing “Let’s get happy!”)

Steven
lol

Sam
Ok, you are solid.

Tim
(fat robert smith or young/skinny robert smith?)

Sam
Last one for you Tim. Wanna take a shot at not being afraid?

Steven
Wish-era
sorta in-between days
(sorry)

Howard
(you beat me to it)

Tim
so after Symeon is not so very hulked out anymore, we have two left

Howard
(Gents, I have to take care of a couple things before bed, would it be a problem if I sign off? It’s almost 1 here.)

Tim
no worry, I have to get up super early and go to the lab

Sam
Oh, my. Not a problem. Write down that we have two checks remaining. We can pick up in a couple weeks.

Tim
done and done

Howard
or continue and lemme know what happens.

Sam
One fate each and a persona point each.

Howard
hooray!

Steven
excellent

Howard
I’m enjoying Fenring so far. Even if First Level sucks.

Sam
Normally there is more interaction in the awarding of rewards, but go with that for now. Good night guys. Had fun.
It so does.

Howard
G’night! Thanks Sam. Am enjoying.

Steven
I’m having a great time
Thank you eveyone

Tim
later fellows, first level is awesome and terrifying. I am quite liking it, have a good evening

Howard
gnight!

Steven
good night!
Monday, February 17, 2014 7:07 PM
Torchbearer CRU-National
x

Sam
No doubt. Prologue, prologue, who has a prologue?

Howard
I might!

Steven
I have seen met a character of mine.
That was disconcerting as is -
Yes, prologue away

Sam
Hah, I bet.

Howard
“Feck. None of you brought any fat? Not a bit of lard? What religion are you boys anyway? one of them Fenixians who won’t touch a pig, too holy for them, yeh?”
Steven interjects. “Actually, they’re unclean. Buit no, I’m not Fenixian or Musselman. And no, I thought you were taking care of food.”
“Feck. Well boys, dinner is cold tonight. You’ll have to chew the salt cod a bit. I’ve softened it with some wine. Better than the hard tack.” I put my frying pan away and gaze into the little fire. This wouldn’t happen again. Normally, I’d throttle the paladin for taking it upon hisself to correct my knowledge of the world, but he proved hisself back in that tunnel. Those Kobolds were confused as I was by his display of bravado. Let’s hope it doesn’t get him killed, and let’s hope we can get some sleep in this cellar. It smells of Kobold piss and sour “beer,” if you could call that human pisswine by such a noble name.

Sam
Excellent, do you have a condition that needs lifting?

Howard
O
I’m Angry. So very angry.

Sam
Not anymore

Howard
That’ll do.
“That’ll do” is about as complimentary as Fenring gets.

Sam
Hehehe
Oh, I almost forgot. I came across a rules description that changes the way we modify tests slightly. It is subtle but important. When you have a +1s to a test, you only get to add the +1 if you ALREADY have succeeded. It doesn’t actually help you succeed.

Tim
ah, that is interesting

Sam
If you have a -1s it applies directly. Making it more likely that you will fail.
Welcome Stephen!

Tim
the punishment never ends, in this way Torchbearer is like graduate school

Steven
Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Howard
if you scan up, Stephen, you will read the prologue. I invented some dialogue in which you participate.

Tim
Indeed
I think I still have two checks to spend, Sam.

Sam
Ah! Spend away.
You can’t spend two in a row though.

Howard
Which one of them is hurt again?

Tim
well, I tried to heal my Afraid condition (we have to go down the list, right?) and failed
anybody else need a check?

Sam
Yes, going down the list is mandatory.

Tim
I am injured and afraid, I think Symeon is angry

Steven
yes

Tim
well, make your test using my check
if you need it, that is

Sam
You guys getting this? It looks a bit like my window has frozen up.

Steven
Rgr

Howard
While they check and fix, I chew my cod and bring up the unpleasantries of strategy.. “Well boys, what are we doing here? There’s a little girl wandering about with a pack of hungry lizard dogs out looking to loot and cook anything they can stuff down their hidey holes, and we stopped by for a cuppa.”

Tim
Also getting you Sam

Sam
(Ok, thx)

Howard
(silent and legible, Sam.)

Tim
“Well, I think we need to go find the leader, such as it is.”

Sam
(Svet, if you want to spend that check, you can make the roll to eliminate your angry)

Howard
“So you know all about Kobold tribes and their wily ways and can spot their head man. Good. Next.”

Steven
(ok)

Tim
“No, no I decidedly do not know that. I would guess that he’ll be the one with the fanciest hat. Just seems like the reasonable thing to try – kill the king, the rest scatter like…well…lizard dogs.”

Steven
Sam: 5,6,1,3, Ob2, I have calmed down.

Sam
(Good)
(Tim, you can spend your remaining check at your leisure)

Steven
Symeon drinks for a bit about the fire, silently giving exactly zero USDA metric fucks.

Tim
(Svet – did you use mine or one of your own?)

Steven
(Tim: yours)

Tim
(Sam – I used it earlier, failed to heal afraid so I am scared and injured)

Sam
(Ok)

Howard
“Well, the wee girl says she’s got fambly down here. I imagine they’re not long for this world. I’m not sure that I still wouldn’t give a rat’s arsehole, but I’m with you boys, so what you decide to do, I’ll see through.”

Steven
“Did anyone catch where the girl scurried off to?”

Tim
“If here parents are not dead already, they soon will be. We can probably go in the direction she pointed. I did not see where she went to.”

Howard
“I was still stunned by Saint Stephen here’s attempted martyrdom to pay much heed.” I smile, revealing crooked, pipe-stained teeth. “Pay no mind, I’m as perplexed as they were why they didn’t kill you.”

Steven
(brb)

Tim
“I can be very convincing.”

Sam
(So, back into the breach?)

Steven
(back)

Tim
(That seems best)

Howard
I want to examine the room we’re in to see if there’s anything else that can help us. I collected 8 candles from the last chamber, but need to see if anybody wants to carry some of those.

Steven
“Is that what that was called? Convincing? I clearly don’t know the meaning of the word. I thought that was a miracle.”

Howard
We could also cache some stuff if needbe

Tim
“I cannot claim to be a worker of miracles, although the Lords of Light certainly influenced my luck.”

Steven
“I swear I saw a spear or three pass through you without harm.”
(Because the night is dark and full of terrors)

Sam
(Ok Howard, give me a roll for it)

Howard
“Step right up, lays and gemmen! see the one and only Son of Light cure the clap of some young boy while walking on water and squirting wine out his arse. Cut me a piece, lads.”

Tim
“I have already said I am no worker of miracles, and I shall not participate in chicanery for profit.”

Steven
/grins

Howard
“Well that’ll do us good next time we’re in town. Boys, I’ma have a looksee if there’s anything worthwhile around here.”

Tim
“I will make my living the honest way – bringing justice to those who do evil.”

Steven
“Of course not. Say no more of it! Back into the hole then?”

Tim
“Yes, yes.”

Howard
(if I can use Scout or Dungeoneer, let me know, otherwise it’s beginner’s luck with Scavenger)

Sam
(Scavenger it is)
(Although if somebody tries to help you, scout can come in handy)

Steven
(Sorry – no scout here.)

Tim
(even if I could, I’m too scared to help)

Howard
can I add my Born of Earth and Stone trait to aid me in this?

Sam
(Yes, that would apply here I think)

Howard
Or rather, my sense of the dank and dark should give me a sense of what good remains here.
5, 5., 4, 1

Sam
You carefully scour the room you are in, but find mostly pieces of broken masonry and wet sand. When you are about to give up you decide to give the entry room a once over again quickly as there was a great deal of clutter. Underneath the rubble of the broken stairs you pull out a wooden ladder.

Howard
AHA!” much grinding and scraping and clatter

Steven
“Found the beer, did you?”

Sam
It is easily tall enough to reach the cellar door.

Tim
“Good work, Fenring! Now we might not die down here!”

Howard
between grunts and curses as I hoist the ladder, “Ypu’re such…Grrr… a fecking….Hyuugghh optimist!”

Tim
“Would you like help with that?”
(I move to help Fenring before he can answer)

Howard
“No! The midget’s got it. You be good lads and finish yer cod and tack. Not one of you’s raiding a horde til ye finish yer supper!” (I gladly accept help)

Tim
“I was quite finished anyway, nothing like salt cod and tack to make life on the road…or under it… easier.”
(Have song from Lego Movie stuck in head, very bad earworm)

Howard
I retrieve the rope now that we have the ladder.

Steven
“Just like the Frost Feast back home”

Tim
“And I thought my childhood was hard…”

Steven
“Just with less butter and burnspirit”

Howard
“Butter! Fancy lad. I bet ye had little tassles on your little shoes when you were a boy, and nannies to feed you butter all day long. I asked for fat. Feck! There. Alright lads. Let’s go kill some lizard dogs.”

Tim
“I like your plan, Fenring. May the hand of righteousness guide our blades.”

Steven
/laughs
“Fine, nothing beats a good slaughter, does it?”

Tim
“When it’s foul creatures who’ve abducted, terrorized, and murdered innocent people? Damn right.”

Sam
Alright, a few mechanicals to deal with first. Who has light, what type, and who is lit by said light?

Howard
3 torches, plus 8 candles if anybody has the space to carry them.

Steven
(I do)
(I have two torches left)

Tim
I can carry a torch if need be

Steven
(so plenty of candle space)

Tim
(I have four)

Steven
(i’ve used two torches so far)

Howard
two torches for three of us should do, yes?

Tim
Ought to, I’d think

Howard
I don’t have a shield, so I can carry a torch and still lend some death to the beasties.

Steven
(I have a hammer, so torches are a but of a nuisance for me)

Tim
Ah, well, I will give you mine then so I can sword and shield it
(ah, well, then I will sword and torch)

Sam
Ok, so two torches, one carried by Stephen and one by Fenring.

Howard
“So, back the way where we found the child?”

Tim
“As far as I can tell, that would be the best course”

Steven
“Yes – it would be pleasant to know that she wasn’t turned into some rancid pot pie”

Sam
Scene cut to the guard room where Stephen stared down the kobolds.
You guys have slowly made your way back to the now abandoned guard “chamber”. It is still full of urine soaked blankets and furs, and the makeshift table still leans against the far north wall.

Tim
(Entrances and exits?)

Sam
Dark shadows dance along the walls and ceiling from the flickering torches.
They have begun to give off a black oily smoke, a sign of the worsening air here.
A single narrow tunnel exits the cavern through the north wall, opposite the tunnel you came in through.
As you move across the room, you can make out the faint sound of someone moaning in pain, broken by an infrequent sobbing.

Tim
“Well, it looks like we only have one option, mates”
(is it coming from the tunnel or in the room?)

Sam
From the tunnel

Tim
“Okay, I think we should move cautiously toward the sobbing.”

Steven
“Lead on, then.”

Tim
(I move toward the tunnel carefully, with sword in one hand and torch in the other to light the way)

Howard
Does it sound human or…otherwise?

Sam
Yes, it is definitely coming from a man, although it is one that seems to have lost all hope and is in the throes of both great pain and complete despair.

Tim
Well, that can’t be good, we should check on him.

Howard
“This is daft.” I lead on with the sputtering torch, letting Goodwill and The Salvation Army lead on.
*carry on, not lead on.

Sam
Stephen, you make your way to the tunnel entrance and see the it curves around a tight bend, but as you approach the bend, you can see that dim candle light barely illuminates the way down the rest of the tunnel.

Tim
Can i see the source of the sobbing?

Sam
Not yet, once you get around the bend, you probably will be able to see into the room.
Some harsh voices and the sound of a whip cracking join the pained sobs.
These are definitely not human voices.

Tim
“Okay, lads, there is a man in there in need of rescue, let’s move up to the room carefully”

Howard
“Our torches will give us away.”

Tim
“Good thinking, we should extinguish them, then use the ambient candle light to move up”

Howard
I use a damp rag to tamp the flame, and move forward quietly.

Steven
I prepare my hammer and take the end of the line

Tim
I do the same
with the torch, that is

Sam
Ok, you move down the tunnel to the next cave, letting the dim candle light guide you.

Tim
(brb, gotta take the trash out)

Sam
As you come to the bend, you can now see into the next room.
A number of kobolds are gathered here in what seems to be a barbaric parody of court.
An ornate high-backed chair sits in the center of the roughly circular chamber, though no one is sitting in it at the moment.
Six female kobolds, decked out in feathers and bone piercings, stand on the left side of the room
Six male kobolds wrapped in colorful sarongs mill about on the right.

Steven
(we can actually sex them?! Wow.)

Sam
In front of the chair stands one of the large tables from the inn above, hastily reassembled.

Steven
(Lizards and their secondary sex traits – who knew?)

Tim
(Are they armed?)

Howard
(lizard dogs.)

Sam
Tied to the table is the writhing form of a kobold who has been stripped bare. Across the table from you is another kobold, this one wearing a strange draconic headpiece made of bone.
A large female kobold stands at the head of the table and is in the process of whipping the kobold on the table.

Howard
whispers “Aw, bless. They’re in love.”

Tim
(The crying kobold has a man’s voice?)

Sam
As she does this, the one in the headpiece is alternating whispering and shouting at the kobold on the table as he takes what appears to be a human foot and beats the kobold around the head with it,
He then triies to forcibly shove the foot into his mouth between screams from the whipping.

Howard
“Now there’s something new!”

Sam
Next to the female lies the form of a man, you can’t make out much in the shadows, but he appears to have a stump where his foot used to be, which has been hastily and poorly bandaged.

Tim
whisper The one on the table seems to want nothing to do with eathing people.”

Sam
He is the one crying and moaning.
The room is lit by dozens of candles in wholes and on rocks.
holes, not wholes

Tim
“How do we want to deal with this?”

Howard
whispers “Is this doin’ it for either of ye lads? I can’t say it’s my cuppa toe, but an open minded troglodyte am I, so if you want to join in, I promise I’ll look away and not judge.”

Tim
glares in the dim light

Howard
“Then we stack the bastards high.”

Tim
“We need to save that man, and maybe the kobold being tortured.”
“The one with the whip and the other in the head dress seem to be of most conern.”
concern

Steven
“Which one do we want first?”

Howard
I survey the architecture. Is the “throne” prominently placed, how big is it, and could it be got to and knocked over?

Tim
“Do we want to capture them or kill them?”

Howard
“Scatter or kill.”

Tim
Also, could the throne be set ablaze?

Steven
“Capture them? No real point. Let’s get rid of them:

Sam
It can be knocked over, it is close to the center of the room, near the table. The kobold in the headpiece is standing immediately in front of it.
Yes, a likely possibility.

Tim
“I suspect the unarmed ones will run off. Which of them is closes to us?”

Sam
FWIW, the females are larger than the males, and all bear spears of some sort. The only thing the males seem to be carrying are bandoleers with shoddy looking clay or gourd containers.

Tim
So in total there are eight with spears and six dudes?

Howard
“Simeyon, you’re shite with a club, but are tall in stature. What say we rush in, you knock that throne over on Queen Crocodile there while St. Stephen and I see how many we can skewer?”

Steven
“My pleasure.”

Sam
Six with spears, six dudes, one female with a whip, and a male with a headdress, he doesn’t appear to have a weapon other than a mutilated human foot.

Steven
(btw – I learned I did have Fighter 2)

Howard
(phew!)

Steven
(It was left off my sheet)
(it’s starting for a cleric)

Sam
(Huzzah!)

Tim
“Yes, if we knock the throne over onto the one with the whip, the rest may be easier, especially if we set the throne alight.”

Howard
So are we acting to chase off?

Steven
(so, I am not completely useless, except when trying to convince them otherwise)
(Yes – let’s scare them)

Tim
(YEah, I think drive off is best)

Howard
the ayes have it.

Sam
So, please describe your actions in significant detail.

Steven
I run in from back to push the throne on the leader
to cause a panic
hoping my compatriots will rush in during the chaos

Tim
Okay, who is going to be captain?
I can’t help, so note that

Howard
I’m going to provide running cover for Saint Sim, a couple paces behind, screaming and slashing at any Kobold who gets in my way.

Tim
As Symeon rushes for the throne I run into the room right behind him, swinging my sword wildly, in the roiling chaos I try to slap a candle onto the throne with the tip of my sword, hoping to start a fire

Howard
I’m happy to captain
but will defer to holy wisdom.

Sam
Ok, that sounds like a good old fashioned drive off conflict to me.

Tim
I can’t aid in the disposition determination because I am afraid, but I also have a -1D to all rolls because I am injured

Howard
sigh

Sam
You guys figure out who is captain and get your roll put together, I am gonna take a minute to do up the kobolds disposition.

Tim
so, I think Fenring captaining would be best

Howard
I’m free of such liabilities

Tim
(please be might 2 you little shits)

Howard
I have Fighter 4 and a Health of 5

Steven
F2, H 4
so, I can help

Tim
nice

Howard
does Might factor in?

Tim
not to the disposition roll, but to our rolls in the conflict

Howard
ok, so I roll 10 dice

Tim
I think you roll 5 for fighter and add the health to that

Sam
Yes, Tim is correct

Howard
woot
6,6,6,6,5,5,
3,3,2,2
oh wait, I must reroll

Steven
(nice)

Howard
it’s 5 dice added to the Health rank
5,5,4,1,1

Sam
Even better.

Howard
so that’s 8: I take 3, Stephen takes 3 and Sim, you get 2. Sorry, lad.

Sam
You all charge into the room, generally creating general havoc. The males begin retreating towards the periphery of the cave. They have begun squealing in their animalistic language. A few begin pulling the gourds off of their bandoleers. Apparently better trained, or just braver, the females seem to pull back together more quickly.
(I have chosen my actions)

Tim
(My sword will be giving +1D to attack this conflict)

Howard
I’m going to use my harpoon to push the brashest males into corners, scare them,into fumbling with their…gourds, don’t give ’em a chance to finish a thought! (Maneuver, bonus for spear)

Tim
(Who goes next?)

Howard
Simeyon, follow through with dropping that throne, at best it gives you some cover. Stephen, make yourself useful, man.

Steven
(Yes – I was waiting to see if the throne did anything)
(Still pushing, then)

Sam
(I will consider a throne to be a +1D to attack for one action)

Tim
I am going to flick a candle from a spot on the wall onto the throne using my sword blade (attack)

Steven
(cool)

Sam
(That sounds like a feint of some kind to me Tim, does that jive with you?)
(Attack is fine also, though, now that I read your whole post )
(reading, how does it work?)

Tim
(either is cool, but i’m trying to add to the fear factor by giving them a “holy shit things are on fire!” response)

Sam
Ok, so we have MAA?

Howard
Tim, Feint or Attack?

Tim
I think so, who is immediately after Fenring?
attack

Howard
MAA. final answer.

Sam
Should be Fenring, Symeon, then Stephen

Tim
cool

Sam
Alright, Fenring, you use your spear to keep them on the run, as best you can. It feels like herding cats, or rats maybe. The duck and skitter about. Some of them have pulled off their gourds and hurl them at you. This is an attack vs your maneuver.
It is opposed.

Howard
spear, +1D to maneuver, and Maneuver in a drive off is based on Will, so: 4D:
6.6.4.2!
(Tell me how might factors in?)

Sam
Ok, only two success for them.
Also, add one for their lower might
So that should be two successes in the maneuver.
The gourds shatter on the ground at the feet as the drop them or hurl them in arcs over your head. When they hit the ground they shatter apart with a bang, releasing oily fire on the walls or stone floor at their feet.

Howard
I do my best not to let the ’sploshuns give me much pause, but keep them at the sharp, business end of my harpoon.

Sam
Ok Symeon.

Howard
(Holy shit they have bombs?)

Sam
Oh, Fenring, what are you spending your two successes on? (YES!!)

Howard
Disarm. They’re so flustered they drop their bombs.
oh wait, that takes 3

Sam
I think that takes three doesn’t it?

Howard
yeah
(learning as I go)

Sam
(no problem)

Howard
Gain position then
I push them back til they’re running into each other and are lined up for skewering like street meats.

Sam
(Ok, +2D to next action)
Fenring, you have them running scared.

Howard
Or I guess in this case, til they are in place to be crushed.

Sam
Symeon, you charge up to the throne in all the chaos, and the kobold leader seems unaware of your intent.

Steven
(yay!)

Sam
So, you can make your attack at a whopping +3D.
The female move in to protect their leader though, menacing you with their short spears.
They are attacking you.
In this case the rolls are independent.

Steven
(ok, so f2, then +3 on success?)
sorry, +3D, not +3
(if only)(

Sam
Right

Steven
(5,6)
(3,5,2)

Sam
They also got two successes.

Steven
(argh!)

Sam
Oh, three!

Steven
(yes)

Sam
For you I mean

Howard
(confusion)

Sam
Ok, describe what you do to the throne and their leader.

Steven
My goal is to smash the leader under the weight of the throne, maiming or killing the leader at best, causing the leader not to lead at minimum
So I push the throne on the leader and put all of my weight on the back, doing my best to pin the leader by brute force
I put my whole body into the ordeal

Sam
The chair gives way under your weight, and comes crashing down on the leader just as he turns to face you. He is buried under a pile of shattered wood and cushion. Several of the males
have started slipping out of the cavern through a tunnel to the north. The females however put forth a stronger show of force, charging at you now that you are exposed in the center of the room. Their many spears and onward push drive you back out of the room and you stumble to the ground.
You take two points of disposition damage

Howard
“Feck!”

Sam
Alright Tim

Howard
(You being Symeon?)

Tim
(Okay, so I have Fighter 3, -1D for injured, +1D for sword, 3D)

Sam
Yes
Symeon

Tim
(6,6,6 – three successes. I’m screenshotting that badboy. Can I use a fate point to reroll those as new dice?)

Steven
(yikes)

Sam
Yes

Tim
(Also, when I see Symeon go down, can I invoke my Defender trait to deflect some of the damage as I rush into the room to try to set the chair alight? It also goes along with my “Always Defend your Allies” belief?)

Howard
“Feh. Do-gooders.”

Tim
(2, 5, 1 on the rerolls, so one more success, 4 total).

Sam
(Not in this case. They aren’t actually trying to kill him, just drive him off or scare him a bit. If this were a kill combat I would say yes)

Tim
I rush into the room, and take a quick survey of the chaos, as I see the chair lie in shattered ruins, and Symeon under duress, I swing the flat of my sword at the candle nearest the former throne and slap it onto the wooden debris in hopes it will catch fire. As I move to do this, I position myself between the females and Symeon so that I can engage them if need be. For a large lad, Stephen proves to be quite nimble.

Sam
The females have circled up around the northern tunnel, and you see a couple trying to drag a few of the males back into the room, but to little success. The candle catches the torn cushion immediately and a large blaze ignites. A terrible shriek from the still living leader echos off the walls, and some of the females even begin to disappear.
They got two successes.
On a defend.
You beat them soundly though.

Tim
Ah, nice, so my margin was 3, awesome.
by which I mean two

Sam
Math is hard

Tim
wait, no, might 2, cool, yes, I can add good

Sam
Oh, yeah, I forgot that.
Math isn’t hard, but the rules to this game…

Howard
(hee)

Tim
me too until just now

Howard
(you math and science folk)

Tim
, it is a crunchy game
(Surprisingly, my ability to do calculus and, if pressed, light diff eq makes me the math wiz in the organic division)

Sam
Ok, so that wraps the first volley.

Steven
(but with a chewy center)

Sam
(I have had to become far more comfortable with Diff Eq since starting physics than I ever wanted to be)

Tim
(I know enough to solve particle in a box and the hydrogen atom’s Schrodinger equation, and that’s it)

Sam
Ok, I have the actions selected.

Tim
(All right, howard, what are we doing?)

Howard
Briefly, what is the lay of the land?
I’ve pushed the males back into a side corridor, but the females are showing who wears the uh, spears in the family.
Are things on fire because of the bombs?

Sam
Ok, the few remaining kobolds (all female) have formed a semi-circle at the tunnel that exits this room. They haven’t succeeded in bringing any of their companions back into the fray and there are really only a couple left that look like they can do anything.
In general there is a lot of fire and smoke from the gourds and the burning chair.

Tim
(Should we just go all blitzkreig?)

Howard
“UP THEIR ARSES, LADS!”

Steven
(I’m a comp engineering guy, who is a former liberal arts guys. All my math is quite finite and algorithmic)

Howard
(so, um, yes.)

Steven
(heh)

Tim
(SPOOOOOOOOOOON! I mean ATTAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!)
(I am a former economist who is now a chemist, I’m mostly just good at stats)

Howard
I’m going all out on the feathery bitch-geckos.

Sam
Ok, I need actions and order of people. As it stands with Symeon out of comission, you will need to alternate.

Steven
(I was a linguist. It does help in comp sci, I swear)

Tim
(What if we go Fenring – Attack, Stephen (using shield) – Defend, Fenring – Attack?

Howard
Attack, then Attack
That’s fine by me.

Sam
Symeon is out until he can get some disposition back.

Tim
or that, that also works
that was what I was thinking

Howard
So, A,D,A.

Sam
Who is doing each again? I lost it.

Tim
(in compliance with the adventurers with disabilities act)
(Fenring, Stephen (declaring shield as the weapon), Fenring)

Sam
(Since you are union cryptrobbers and all)

Howard
I, Fenring Skaldrisonn, am gently placing my harpoon up the wobbly-bits of as many of these she-devils as will choose to stand to get in my way.
by gently I mean running full sail and screaming, beard on fire if I could.

Sam
Ok, excellent. You didn’t take the bait. The females try to back into the hall, hoping you will take the time to help your friend. Thinking you will be otherwise busy, the part ways and several burly female bodily fling a pair of males, their bandoleers intact at you. Without much effort you dodge out of the way and they explode in fire balls of screaming kobold meat.
They feinted, so you get a full attack without their response.

Howard
Gorgeous. 6, 5, 3, 3

Sam
Staring down the shaft of you harpoon and terrified by your bellowed threats they last remaining kobolds (that are not currently crisping on the floor) turn tail and run off into the darkness.

Tim
sveet

Howard
I don’t turn around, but take cover in the doorway and watch in case any of them try to come back.
“Symeon, you alive?” I yell, not turning my head from the tunnel the beasts retreated to.

Tim
I rush to aid Symeon

Sam
You seem to be no worse for the wear Symeon.

Tim
“On your feet there, sir. We’re going to have to help these poor sods.”
(Upon realizing that Symeon is okay, I turn to look at the man on the ground)

Sam
So, there still remains the small matter of the man that is currently dying of blood loss from his severed foot, and the kobold still tied to the table.

Howard
I let the brothers dispense with charity. I’m keeping watch.

Sam
He looks quit in bad shape. He is unlikely to live through the night without help.

Tim
“Can you help him, Symeon? Or should we just try to staunch the bleeding with flame?”

Steven
“For this poor soul? Only the Immortal Lords can help him. And maybe me.”

Howard
“Can one of yer fancy Lords of This n’ That be bothered underground?”

Steven
“To be honest, I could only bandage this poor bastard and hope for the best”

Tim
“That is more than he’s gotten thus far. If need be, heat my sword in the flame and press it to the wound. Saw that in my training more than once.”

Steven
I take a look at the man’s wounds – how hopeless is he?

Tim
(As Symeon tends to the man, I examine the restrained kobold)

Steven
I start field triage of the man

Sam
He won’t live the hour unless you can tourniquet the wound, and perhaps use some of your herbs to prevent the blood poisoning from setting in.

Steven
(I have herbs and bandages)
(I being patching him up)

Sam
It looks at you with beady red eyes. Its thick blue tongue smacks its lips as it stares at you.
Ok, Symeon, I need a Heal check from you.

Tim
“Do you speak the common tongue, beast?”

Sam
It smiles at you with a hideous alligator-like smile

Tim
“I will take that as yes. Why did the others have you restrained so?”

Howard
Is there any sense that they’re coming back?

Steven
(5,1,6)
(i spend a fate point)

Sam
“I was sooooo hungry. I break rules and eat some of old huuman. It not fair. We wait so long, but cook never finish kitchen.”

Steven
(3)

Sam
Damn
Well, don’t forget to mark the failure.

Steven
(what was the ob?)

Sam
You spend several minutes cleaning the wound the best you can, but quickly realize the man has just lost too much blood.
(3)

Steven
(should have added the persona point – oh well)
I begin to administer last rights and dope him up

Tim
“Well, so you’ve confessed to cannibalism, I see no need to spare you.”

Sam
Save that for when you have to try to heal Stephen
The kobold looks at you confused.

Steven
“Fenring, do you have a knife?”

Tim
“At the very least assault, attempted murder, and eating a man…which h may or may not be cannibalism. In any case, I shall be ending you. May the gods take pity on your foul soul.”

Howard
I fling my awl at his feet.
it’s more of an ice pick, but the sides are sharp enough to cut.

Steven
(Is the man responsive at all?)

Tim
(Stephen expertly drives his sword through the heart of the kobold)

Sam
Not really, between your herbs and the pain, he is pretty much oblivious.
One more dead kobold.

Steven
I look at the awl with great skepticism and at the dying man.

Tim
(I clean my blade and return the sword to its scabbard

Steven
“What a cunting mess.”

Tim
“It’s a ruddy shame these creatures exist.”

Howard
“Right. That went well. Well done, lads. If there’s anything we can use, take it.”
seemingly oblivious of the carnage, I rifle the desk.
If Symeon didn’t use my blade I collect it.

Sam
Symeon?

Steven
I bleed the man with the awl, seeing that being the quickest death for him
and give Fenring back awl after cleaning it up
and I finish the prayer

Tim
I say a small prayer for the man

Steven
“It’s done. The Lords take him.”

Sam
You carefully tap his artery, beginning the process of helping him along with a less painful death. As you finish your prayer, still holding the bloody awl, you all turn when you hear the heart wrenching sound a young girls voice shout “Daddy! No!”

Howard
“Oh hells.”

Steven
“Come here, girl.”

Sam
You look over to the tunnel you cam in through and see the young girl standing there in shock.
And we will stop there for tonight.
Yay twists!

Steven

Howard
This game is gruesome.
This is not a complaint.

Sam
Definitely

Howard
I’m kind of enjoying playing a cheerfully brutal character for once.

Steven
Agreed – I am such a fan right now.

Sam
I am having a blast running it. It is complicated, but everything feels very tight.

Howard
I think the pacing will speed up as we learn the ropes so I’m not worried about that

Steven
agree – it takes a while
but it will sort itself out

Howard
it’s neat that they made resource management into proper drama

Steven
I am having a blast

Tim
This is such a fun game, rules are intuitive but complicated
also, even the good guys are fucked up

Sam
Ok, REWARDS!

Steven
Woot

Tim
Huzzah!

Sam
Ok, what was Fenring’s goal?

Howard
My goal is to find out what happened to these poor sods.
He’s Unaffiliated, but loves a great tale.

Sam
Would you say he has accomplished that goal now?

Tim
if you want that DLS collection: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx6c1rd7a4jgfg8/De%20La%20Soul.rar

Howard
He’s starting to get a pretty good idea, that the innkeepers have become the toy-snacks for a bunch of sick little beasties.

Sam
Ok, so, if you think you have accomplished it, you get a persona point and will need to pick a new one for next session.

Howard
I’d say so, and that works well.

Sam
Ok, what is his belief

Howard
Pirates, storms and sea monsters couldn’t kill me, so I must be destined to live to tell a great story,

Sam
You can now add bomb throwing kobolds to that list.

Howard
I haven’t told the story yet, but exactly. Exploding kobolds are a nice flourish.

Sam
Ok, so that is a fate point.

Howard
Tjat
That’ll do, even.

Sam
I can’t let you have the instinct one as you haven’t actually used the ladder to leave yet, but it is ready for you at that point.
Ok, Symeon.
What is your goal?

Steven
To get my companions and innocents out alive

Sam
Ok, not yet, but I would say you definitely worked towards that goal.
Fate point

Steven
Considering I had to put down a prisoner, it didn’t go as well as I’d like

Sam
What is your belief?

Steven
The Immortal Lords are real, but they aren’t truth. Only my actions are real.
oops are truth

Sam
Did you act on that belief?

Steven
Yes, I killed a man because I felt it was the best course of action – not one sanctioned by my faith

Sam
Good, another fate point.

Steven
sweet

Sam
Did you use your instinct?

Steven
No – my instinct is to know your surroundings
and I was rash and went along with throne crushing, against my better judgement

Sam
Ok.
Stephen
What is your goal?

Steven
and was trapped because of itt

Tim
To bring those who emptied the inn to justice

Sam
Well, you definitely worked to that goal, but it isn’t finished yet.
Fate

Tim
jesus I have to start using Chrome for this because FF leaks memory like a sieve.

Sam
What is your belief?

Tim
Evil must be confronted

Sam
Huh, I would say yes.
Fate

Tim
We did light some kobolds on fire, and I killed one for eating a dude

Sam
Your instinct didn’t come in to play this time, so no there.
Ok, that is the basic stuff.
Now, you guys get to vote for who gets to be MVP for this session.

Tim
this reward system sort of feels like the end of a game of mario party

Sam
Hah
Anyone stand out as MVP this time around?

Howard
hehe

Tim
I vote Fenging because he did the heavy lifting with the major conflict

Steven
I second that

Howard
“That’s Fenring, but I’ve made fun of your name enough that you get a pass.”

Tim
A man can have a typo

Sam
Ok, I can go along with that, Persona point for Fenring.
Teamworker.
Anyone feel like somebody really went out of their way to help other folks, even if ti put themselves at a disadvantage?

Howard
Symeon

Sam
(Can’t be Fenring)

Howard
I didn’t help anyone.

Tim
Symeon did put himself in quite a bit of danger to knock that throne over

Howard
I mean, Symeon’s left at the end of the scene about to put papa out of his misery right in front of the little darling.

Steven
Distraction Cleric is distracting.

Howard
Fenring is glad he’s not Symeon.

Steven
No good deed goes unpunished

Sam
Ok, the vote is in and Symeon gets a persona point for being a team player.

Steven
Sweet
thank you

Sam
And lastly, embodiment. Who played their character to the hilt. Really played up their alignment, and their class.
I don’t want this so seem like I am actively trying to spread these around evenly, but I think Stephen is playing a Paladin exactly like I would expect a paladin to be played.

Steven
Stephen’s purity of intent is ineffable

Howard
Stephen is sticking to the letter of his class.

Sam
Well, if there are no objections then, one persona point for you Stephen.

Howard
seconded

Tim
awesome, thanks
I am trying not to get all the way to Lawful Stupid

Howard
Fenring can help with that.

Sam
That should put most of you at least up to three fate available/spent, and a couple of persona points right?

Steven
Yes

Tim
Yeah, I have three fate spent, two remaining, and two persona (none spent)

Howard
2 fate spent, 2 fate current, 3 persona, 0 spent

Sam
Make sure you get at least three of each spent before the end of the module. That way you can raise your level when you get to town.

Steven
1 fate spent, 3 current, 2 persona free

Howard
Town is sounding so nice.

Steven
No doubt

Sam
It isn’t
It is expensive and mean.

Tim
Town kind of sucks
, and yes, is expensive and mean

Howard
But nobody explodes, most days.

Tim
that’s what you think

Sam
I suppose it all depends on which town you go to.

Howard
Hehe. This is a Good Game.

Tim
Explosiaville was a poor choice, admittedly

Howard
We mispronounced it.

Steven
The is a fantasy world, were it a Nick Cave song.

Sam
Alright guys. Well, it was a blast, but I gotta get off to bed. I will post an invite for two weeks from today.

Steven
I am waiting for it to go full “The Proposition”

Tim
Cool, see you then, have a good one

Howard
great. Map and short narrative to follow.

Sam
Thanks

Howard
g’night!

Steven
Good night!

Sam
Remember, fate points for adventure logs that don’t suck.
Good night.

Monday, March 10, 2014 7:20 PM
Torchbearer CRU-National

Sam
Who is doing the prologue tonight?

Steven
It’s Tim’s turn.

Tim
All right, let me see here…
Having delved deeper and deeper beneath the ravaged inn, our adventuring heroes have discovered a most foul stew. A tribe, or rather rabble, of kobolds plans not only to murder the guests of the inn, but also to cook them for supper. When we last left off the party had stumbled upon a nest of the creatures after losing sight of the girl they were following into the depths. Upon driving the kobolds off, they discovered a man who had clearly seen better days. Dressed in tatters, one leg sawn off below the knee and crudely bandaged, nearly drained of blood – there was no way to save him. Rather than allow the poor soul to suffer longer, Symeon performed last rites and aided his shuffle off this mortal coil…as the troupe was discovered by his daughter.
(pretty sure that’s where we left off)
(let me know if I missed anything salient)

Sam
Sounds pretty accurate to me. Anyone want to add anything else?

Howard
There’s nothing good to add, certainly, so let’s leave it at that.

Steven
Agreed.

Sam
(hehe)

Howard
Does anybody remember the wee human’s name?

Steven
Elsa

Sam
Ok Stephen, you may cure yourself of the top of your grind list.
The young girl stands motionless for a moment, the reality of what she has just witnessed washing over her like a cold wave.

Tim
(I’M NOT AFRAID ANYMORE!)

Sam
She suddenly and without warning charges forward at Symeon, when she reaches him, she begins beating on his chest with her fists, tears streaming down her dirty face, making deep gullies in the filth.
“You MONSTER!”

Tim
I reach over to console her.

Sam
“Even the beasts didn’t kill him yet.”
She collapses into a heap sobbing as you touch her and try to comfort her.

Howard
I keep watch on the doorway, spear pointed into the darkness, but I yell over my shoulder: “Don’t look, lassie. Be a good girl and turn yer eyes now.”

Steven
“If they hadn’t been beasts, they would not have made him suffer so.”

Tim
“Elsa, I’m sorry, so very sorry, that you saw that. But what Symeon did was the best course. Your father was not long for this world, and he’s with the Immortal Lords now.”

Sam
She is clutching at her father’s chest, her wails echoing off the stone walls.

Tim
I gently stroke the back of her head, trying to get her to quiet down a little bit.

Sam
Eventually, drained, she stand, looking up at Stephen.
sniff I sniff I know.

Steven
“Elsa, he needed peace. Had we left him like we found him, we may as well be the infernal troglodytes ourselves.”

Sam
She looks at Symeon for a moment.
“Two years ago my Ma was thrown from her horse. She died when she hit a rock with her head. But the horse was hurt too. My Pa told me it wouldn’t ever walk again, and ain’t no good from a horse that can’t walk.”
“Even though we couldn’t make our taxes to Lord Aristeed, we put him down so he could run somewhere else.”

Howard
“Yourr pa was wise, lass. Here. I throw Simeon my wineskin. “Saint Goodwill. Here. It’s watered down enough for a human girl.”
(insert quotes as necessary)

Steven
(I sniff the contents of the skin)

Tim
“What kind of lord tries to collect taxes under such circumstances? How vile.”

Steven
“The run of the mill, provincial one.”

Sam
“That’s what my Pa said, Mr. Stephen”

Howard
(It’s Dwarven ice wine from one of the northern isles, but it is watered down enough that it won’t kill her or anything)

Sam
(Yum, that sounds kinda tasty)

Steven
(Offers the skin to Elsa)

Sam
(Not that it is real, but sounds cool hehehe)

Tim
“Well, we’ve now a bit of trouble. Elsa, can you lead us to where the others are being held?”

Sam
“I don’t want you drink. I want a blade and a chance to get them. Pay ’em back. You owe me that Symeon.”

Tim
(She’s, what, 8?)

Steven
“That won’t bring your father back, child.”

Sam
(Yeah, but she looks like she has seen WAAAY more than a normal 8 year old)

Steven
“And it will probably just hurry you to meet him sooner than needed. Your father will haunt us forever if we let you do that.”

Tim
“Are you any good with a blade, lass?”

Sam
“I don’t know, but I want to find out”

Howard
“Whoa there, Miss Elsa. Careful what you wish for.” I throw my awl at her feet. It’s basically an ice pick made of extremely strong Dwarven steel. “D’ye know which end goes where?”"

Sam
“Its what you do with a dog that’s gone bad.”

Howard
I keep eyeing the door.

Tim
“Elsa, we will do our best to protect you, keep you safe, through the rest of this…but these kobolds are not playing a game. They are strong, horrible creatures. I’ve been training my whole life, since I was younger than you, to fight…and they’ve been hard on me. On all of us.”

Sam
She reaches down and picks up the ice pick. She reaches her finger out and pricks herself with the sharp point.

Tim
(Fuck, kid’s a cutter…got any special dwarven SSRIs?)

Howard
(treat as a dagger for all intents){

Steven
(The upgrade to the ice ale)

Sam
(OOC, quick question. I am not a wine person, how long will wine keep once it is open. It is a merlot.)

Tim
(depends how you reseal it, but not all that long…couple of days before it starts tasting funky?)

Howard
(red wine: it will start to taste funky after the second day or so)

Steven
(2 days is my experience as well)

Sam
(Hrmm, ok. I opened it on Friday. Probably not gonna taste awesome. May stick with beer then.)

Howard
(you can get little chingaderas that pump the air out of the bottle or fill the bottle with carbon dioxide that will extend the life of the wine for a few days.)

Sam
Oh, neat.

Steven
(Sam, they are the same thing that supposedly keep two liters of soda fizzy)

Tim
(Argon would be a better choice, although more expensive)

Steven
(Ha!)

Sam
Elsa, suddenly has a very cold and distant look on her face.

Tim
(That’s what we need to invent – an air free wine storage system for snobs. We’ll live like kings! DAMN HELL ASS KINGS!)
“Elsa, are you okay little one?”

Howard
I for one and on full alert.
*am

Sam
“I am going with you. I will lead you, but we need to watch out for the spider. It is really scary.”

Howard
(jeez, I can’t type after last week)

Tim
“Spider?”

Sam
“I have heard them talk about it. They call her Uttan, or something like that. I once heard a couple of them get eaten. I couldn’t see what was happening, but they screamed really loud, and the shadows made it look bigger than Stephen.”

Steven
“Elsa, we need to get your father out of here.”
“It’s not right to leave him here.”

Tim
{whispers to Symeon} “Can we just set the corpse alight in here? This will satisfy the Immortal Lords certainly.”

Howard
“Sym, her pa is not only sagacious but he’s a very patient man right now. I think he’d be willing to wait until there isn’t a horde of rabid lizard-bitch-dogs running amok down here.”

Steven
(to Stephen) “I was hoping some place out back in the cave – the stench will be terrible otherwise. So she can be alone. But we can let her have her say. I killed him. I owe her that much.”

Howard
“We need to keep moving.”

Tim
{to Symeon} “That might be okay, but I think Fenring is right. We have to press on.”

Steven
“All good points for us. Can’t say the same for her. Also, let’s be honest – do you really think he’ll be here when we return?”

Sam
“Symeon, will you say the prayers at least so that he can rest right?”

Steven
“Certainly.”

Tim
When Symeon is done with the prayers I take the large sack out of my satchel and cover the corpse with it.

Sam
“He had my Ma’s ring, and his wedding ring. I want to find those.”

Howard
9
e
(gah. Cat on keyboard)

Tim
I take a cursory glance at his hands, rings?

Howard
“Elsa, girl. Who else from the inn was taken down here? Do you know how many?”

Sam
No rings. Clearly a spot on his had where one should have gone.
“There was the cook, two of the waitresses, me, Pa, a funny old man, and a couple of men that looked like merchants.
“The cook’s wife and one also”

Howard
I memorize her words.

Sam
wife and son

Tim
“Ten in all, we’ve accounted for two.”

Sam
“The old man was funny in the head. He kept trying to get people to pay him for information. He said he knew where a bunch of treasure was burried”

Tim
“Did he now?”

Howard
What are the exits from here again?

Sam
The entry you came in from the south, and a dim narrow passage leading to the north east.
Where the kobolds ran off.

Tim
“I suppose we only have the one choice.”

Howard
“C’mon boys. Let’s keep moving. Elsa, stay in the middle of us. Don’t stray or the kobolds will eat you.”

Sam
“Ok”

Tim
“Lead the way, Fenring, I’ll cover the rear”

Sam
She looks a little less confident now that the reality is setting in, but she takes a deep breath and follows you on.
The tunnel only goes a a few dozen yards before it forks, one path leading due east, and the other continuing north.

Howard
I look, listen and smell down both paths.

Tim
“Which way, lass?”

Sam
The both smell retched Fenring. Your nose burns from the stink of their musk.
Dark too.
But to the north you think you hear the sound of the chittering again.
Elsa points north and says. I think that is where their kobold girls live.

Tim
The females are the warriors, yes?

Sam
I I think it is where the other people are being kept.
Seemed that way from the last encounter.

Tim
“I guess we go north, then?”

Howard
“We advance with care, boys. They could have set any kind of traps with the amount of time you and your Lords farted around with Pa back there.”

Sam
Ok, you press on down the north passage. The floor here is covered in a sticky layer of mud, and the walls are damp from the moisture in the air. The air itself is colder down here.
Also, who has light and how much longer does it have on it?

Tim
I have no idea.

Howard
how many ticks have passed since the battle?

Sam
None
No tests were involved.

Howard
I had a torch and one of you two had a torch, whoever doesn’t have a shield
It was lit two ticks ago then, if memory serves

Steven
It was Stephen, if I remember correctly

Tim
Yes, I have a torch with two turns on it, that’s right

Sam
Ok, if it was lit two turns ago, it is expired.

Tim
I will light a new torch.

Howard
I’ll do the same.

Sam
With two torches lit you can provide light for all four of you.
As you make your way down the tunnel, you realize you are approaching a larger cavern again, and as you get close to the entrance, the sound of the chitttering ceases. In the silence you hear the sounds of human voices, some begging for food and water, others crying quietly.
What are you doing?

Tim
{whispers} “Oh, dear gods.”
{whispers} “This is probably an ambush”

Howard
If there’s any cover or a corner to glance around, I press myself to it

Sam
Stephen what are you doing?
Symeon?

Steven
(Symeon finds cover)
(and takes it)

Tim
I will venture up to the mouth of the tunnel we are in and take cover

Sam
You all press yourselves up against the walls of the tunnel exit, taking the only cover you can find. Fenring, you peer carefully around the stone ridge making up the entrance to the cavern, and can make out in the dim light a floor strewn with furs and what appear to be soiled table cloths. Deep in the shadows you can barely make out small red eyes reflected in the faint torchlight. Just to the left of the entrance is another tunnel veering off to the northwest, and at the far end you can barely make out the shap of a makeshift fence or cage, beyond which you can’t see anything.

Tim
How dry do the furs look?

Sam
Really hard to tell from here. Do you want to get closer?

Howard
I start counting pairs of eyes

Sam
At least five

Tim
I don’t want to get closer, but I think I’m going to have to get closer
{whisper} “okay, lads, we don’t have the element of surprise, obviously, so our best bet may be simply trying to sew the seeds of chaos. Anyone have oil?”

Howard
(whispers:) “None, or we would have had a cooked dinner, remember?”
As I focus on the eyes, what do the kobolds seem to be up to?

Sam
They are pretty still, staring in your direction. You are not sure if they know you see them, or even if they see you yet.
Talk it out and let me know what you are each doing.

Howard
“Lass, come with me. Boys, I’ll run for those cages, and she can free any prisoners. Hopefully I’ll draw a couple off and you two can keep the rest occupied.”

Tim
“I think we may be best served by charging in and trying to get the drop on them. Either that, or seeing about sneaking to free the prisoners first, then fighting.”
“Okay, Fenring, I like your plan.”

Steven
“Fine by me.”

Howard
“If you like this idea ye’re a lot of daft bastards. Here goes. Keep them distracted, try not to get killed.”

Tim
“So on my count, I will run to those furs and try to set them on fire to create a distraction, Fenring and Elsa will go for the cages, and then Symeon and I will keep them distracted”

Sam
Ok, how are you going to set fire to the furs?

Tim
I have a torch. I am hoping they are dry enough to light.

Sam
Ok

Tim
Practically, I am going to hold the flame of the torch to the top of the firs with one hand, while I wield my sword in the other

Sam
Ok, Stephen, on your mark you charge in, brandishing your torch, arriving at large pile of furs in the middle of the room and begin trying to spread flames to the bedding.

Tim
(Evil will always win, because good is dumb)

Howard
I’m going to keep my body between the kobolds and Elsa, to try to hide her some, so their eyes are on me, running as fast as we both can. My harpoon is brandished in their direction, and if any run close enough I will swing for the feet to try and trip them up.

Sam
Ok, Symeon?

Steven
Symeon is covering Stephen as he expresses his arsonist tendencies.
So, smash anything that comes near with the functional end of my hammer.

Sam
Ok, you follow Stephen out, standing between him and the kobolds.
This is sounding an awful lot like a drive off conflict, so lets get it started. Who is going to be the conflict captain?

Tim
Fenring

Howard
shrugs I’m getting used to it.

Tim
I’d volunteer, but I’m injured

Sam
You should try talking to the Kobolds more

Howard
Haha.

Sam
Ok, as usual. Roll Fighter and add it to your health

Tim
I am helping

Steven
I am as well

Sam
Elsa is afraid so she can’t help.

Tim
(Stop being a pussy, tiny child!)

Sam
(She is totally not a werewolf Tim)

Howard
2 successes + 5
so disposition 7. Does Elsa take points?

Sam
She does

Tim
(I want to believe that she isn’t a werewolf, but I don’t)

Howard
I take two, Saint Eggfroth and Salvation Army can have two each, and the little girl gets but one.

Tim
(Our nicknames keep getting better)

Howard
(you’re earning them as you go.)
I think my action qualifies as a maneuver

Sam
It does.
Gimme a moment to figure out what kobolds are doing and then you can figure out who is doing what when.
Sorry, I realized I didn’t have Evernote installed on this computer and needed to do that to keep my notes in.

Tim

k, so it sounds like Fenring is maneuvering….first?

Howard
sure thing.

Sam
And second?

Tim
I think my lighting the bed on fire while brandishing a sword is an attempt to scare them away, so I’d call it an attack
maybe I go second with that?

Sam
Elsa is going to need a maneuver as well, either in this or the next volley

Tim
no bright ideas from me on that front

Steven
I appear to be defending

Howard
i think she goes on the next volley?

Sam
Ok, so Fenring Maneuvers, Stephen Attacks, and Symeon Defends this volley?

Tim
That’s up to you o’captain my conflict captain

Howard
Agreed.

Sam
Ok, Fenring, Elsa is helping you, so add a die to your roll.

Howard
ok, so it’s will plus one for her and one for my spear

Sam
Yes

Howard
4, 4, 4, 1, 1.

Sam
They kobolds sense your rush and charge out to meet you Stephen.

Tim
I need to know the result of that maneuver so I know what to roll for my attack :-0

Sam
At first it looks like they are going to try to rush by Symeon and stab at you with their wicked looking spears, but the pull up short, and your blood goes cold. You don’t think you have ever heard them laugh before. It sets your nerves on end. And one pulls a thin string dangling from the roof next to hher.

Tim
Well, this is going to end poorly

Sam
Their charge appears to have been a feint to let them get to the string. THere is a terrible rumbling sound from overhead.

Howard
“Oh feck.”

Tim
My instinct is “Always defend your allies” Is there a way I can push Symeon out of the way?

Sam
In a cloud of rubble and dust, rocks begin falling down all over the room. Fenring, one nearly brains you as you are running and you take a point of disposition damage.
It was Fenring that was up for the damage, so not this time.

Tim
okay, cool
so…no advantage from the Maneuver then. Got it…TRIXY KOBOLDS

Howard
I yell many words in Dwarvish that little human girls should not understand.

Sam
Ok, so you got three successes on your maneuver roll Fenring, so after the dust settles, you see that the kobolds are a little disconcerted that more didn’t fall.
Fenring spend your successes.

Howard
Going to Impede and Gain Position

Sam
(M v F is independent for both)

Tim
(Yeah, I misread the chart)

Sam
Oof, this is really going to hurt for the Kobolds.

Howard
so +2d on next action and -1 d to their next action

Sam
They have already started to fall back and half of them have started to break to intercept Fenring, leaving a much smaller group to deal with you Stephen.
The remaining ones are going to try to spear you and Stephen.
(Attack for them)

Tim
Okay, awesome. So, Sam, “demanding” is one of my nature descriptors. As I charge forward to light the bedding, I slide to a halt, lean down with my left hand and set the flame to the furs while yelling “I have had enough of you cursed, foul, beasts! You WILL leave this place, never to return. The point of this sword shall see to it!” (I want to spend a persona to tap nature)

Sam
Yes!

Howard
“I hope he has actual brimstone underneath his sermon.”

Tim
Okay, so I have 3 fight, +2D from the maneuver, +4D from nature, +1D from the sword, -1D from injury. So, that’s 9D total

Sam
(holy shit, pun intended)
Let em fly

Tim
2,1,1,6,5,4,4,2,6
That’s five successes, and I’m going to spend a fate to reroll those 6s

Sam
Ok, they got one success.

Tim
That reroll gave me 6,1, so one more success
a total of 6
what is their order of might?

Sam
Keep rolling the sexes
sixes. Sheesh
They are might 2

Tim
Hah, six again…so seven, so far from dice…last reroll is a 1

Sam
Wow

Tim
Seven sucesses from dice, +1, eight total

Sam
Minus one from their success

Tim
Attack isn’t versus is it?

Sam
Oh, right.
So one point of disposition.
(And you can describe the scene, as you destroyed them)
(they are heading to the hills)

Tim
So I take one damage, but okay…Stephen rushes headlong into the fray…and more acrobatically than one would expect sets a blazing, circular inferno in the center of the bedding. Somehow, you’re not sure exactly, a large holy sigil appears in the middle of the circle as the flames whip up around him. His voice echos from every wall of the cave, and his sword glints in the light. His eyes are almost glowing with fury as he wheels about after the kobolds.

Howard
Holy hells.

Tim
As they scatter he stands, nods solemnly to both of you, and says – “Now that’s taken care of, let’s get these people home.”
There is still a low burning, ashen holy symbol in the center of the floor.

Steven
“Lords take me. Let’s finish this business.”

Sam
Ok, so conflict is done.
As you start walking toward the cages, Stephen you take two steps and collapse into a heap on the ground, flickers of flames still around you
Fenring you and Symeon are exhausted.

Howard
I immediately start helping Elsa ge tthe cages open

Tim
Symeon and Fenring are exhausted…am I?

Sam
You realize that they must have done a surprisingly good job of locking these as the cages are built sturdily, and a chain with a huge lock runs through it all.
No you are not.

Tim
Okay. Are the cages made of wood?

Sam
You are unconscious Stephen, so you aren’t sure.

Tim
Can’t find that on the grind list, but I’ll go with it
better than dead, i reckon

Sam
(You will see if in a moment, it is just theatrics)

Tim
(Whatever, it’s awesome)

Howard
My head is still spinning from that boulder.

Sam
Symeon, Stephen is now lying at your feet, taking short breaths.
but his eyes are closed and he is very flushed, you can see even in the torchlight.

Steven
(Symeon props him up against the wall and tries to revive him.)

Sam
His eyes come flicker open, but he seems dizzy, and feverish.

Tim
“glrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg
"

Steven
Does he appear stable enough to take water?

Sam
You check his pulse and diagnose him.
Yes, you suspect it is blood poisoning from his broken and reset leg from the fall down the steps.
Stephen you are sick now.

Steven
“Damnation. He’s quite ill.”
“His leg’s gone rancid.”

Tim
cough “Well, now I’m even less useful. I hope there aren’t more of them. They best have told their friends.”

Sam
Elsa is pulling frantically on the lock of the cages. The people have stood and are now desperately reaching through the bars, hoping for succor.

Howard
I start examining the stones and mud underneath the cage to see if there’s a way to dig under it. (Dungeoneer or Laborer?) Going to use my trait Born of Earth and Stone, and can I spend a point of Nature (Crafting) to devise a brilliant mechanical solution to this out of the available materials?

Steven
“Lords! He’s going to lose this leg if we don’t get him help.”

Tim
“Give them my water, maybe my rations…from my…pack.”

Steven
I assume the infection is far too gone at this point for any field work without a poultice

Sam
Yes, Fenring, that will work quite well. Laborer is perfect.
Nothing till you can get him back to camp and give him a really working on.

Tim
“See if you can hack the cage down with my…wheeze sword”

Howard
so I get +1 on the roll, laborer is 2, nature is 5: so, 8 dice?

Sam
Yes
Elsa actually has laborer so she will help
Don’t forget to spend a persona point for that nature bonus.

Howard
6, 6, 6, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1. am spending a fate point to reroll 6’s

Sam
Ok

Howard
5, 4, 1.

Sam
Wow
Ok you succeed, please describe how it works, you succeeded really well.

Howard
I manage to loose one of the pickets from the fence, then Elsa and I dig in the mud around the base of the cage until we find a loose stone on the end of it. I manage to wedge the picket underneath it, and with a tremendous groan, I am able to dislodge four of the other pickets, which ends up popping a weak link on the chain.
the stone is quite heavy, and was wedged into place to keep the fence in position.

Tim
“Good cough work, Fenring. Most excellent work.”

Steven
“Drink more.”

Howard
Covered in mud and the devils know what else, I crawl under the fence and start dragging the prisoners out of their cells.

Tim
“I’ll be fine, we need to get these people out. Back to the inn…seal up the basement somehow. . They are in worse shape than I am by far.”

Sam
Although it only takes a few minutes Fenring, it feels like it takes forever to get all the prisoners free.

Steven
Once I see that Stephen is stablized, I go help Fenring, Elsa and the prisoners to triage them.

Sam
You count 7 heads in all.

Tim
As Symeon does that, I open my satchel and pull out my two remaining rations…we are missing one
“All the hells, one is missing…”

Howard
I start scouring the room for any supplies or things that might help us.

Sam
“My Da!” Says a boy of perhaps 4

Tim
I brace myself against the wall, and push myself up to standing.
“Your father, little boy?”
“Can you tell me where he went?”

Sam
From the corpse of a large kobold female you find a string a pearls and silver wedding band, and a silver chain strung through a womans silver wedding band.

Tim
I give that to Elsa

Sam
“He is that way, he is making a kitchen…to cook us.” He starts bawling.
That was Fenring that finds that stuff BTW.

Tim
Ah, okay
“Fenring, Symeon…can you find the cook? I can stay with these, start gathering them up to head back.”

Sam
The blankets that aren’t burned look like they might help keep the prisoners warm, or could be tied into a rope to help get them up and out of the cellar.

Howard
“Elsa, take the ring if it’s yours. Go with them back to the tavern. We’ll clean up here. Give me back my awl, though.”

Tim
didn’t we find a ladder

Sam
(yes)

Howard
We pack up whatever is useful with the freed prisoners

Sam
She takes the rings and gives you back the awl.

Howard
“Good girl. You were brave, lass.”

Sam
“I am not finished with them yet. I will find my own knife for next time.”

Howard
“You done your pa credit.”
i look up at Symeon and Stephen, who are staring at me being oddly sentimental. “WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT, YOU MONKEY CREW?! Feck off and get these sods out of here. Take everything that isn’t nailed down!”

Tim
I hand my rations to the prisoners to split amongst themselves, and also distribute my torches so we have adequate light

Steven
smirking “Aye, capitan.”

Howard
“Stephen, keep your torches! Here!” I throw him the small sack full of 8 candles.
I took them from the first guard room

Tim
“Okay, you lot. You heard the man, let’s move. Symeon, Fenring….please find the cook. I will take these folks back. Then perhaps collapse in a heap to scream in agony until sleep claims me.”

Steven
“You up for it?”

Howard
“I’m fecking exhausted, but otherwise peachy.”

Tim
“I can navigate backward with the wee one’s help. I think any trouble is likely to be here, not back where we came. Hope the rest of the monsters heard me is all.”

Howard
My normally perfectly curled moustache and short beard are caked with mud and drooping.

Steven
“Ok, Stephen – just get everyone out. We’ll clean up.”

Tim
Stephen is putting on a brave face, but obviously in tremendous pain. His skin is pallid, sweaty, the holy symbols on his cloak glow dully in the dim light, but you can see that he is covered in blood – his or otherwise, and dirt.
“Elsa, lass, I’m going to need your help to get everybody back to the inn. Can you do that for me?”
“Keep the candles lit, folks. Try to keep up with the limping Paladin.”

Sam
“I can. This way”

Howard
I turn to Symeon as soon as he leaves. “He’s a dead man walking, he is.”

Tim
“Thank you, Elsa.”

Sam
We will leave the story of Stephen for a bit and see what goes on with Symeon and Fenring.

Steven
“He’s like the men my grandfather told me about. They would consume some leaf or other before battle and would be possessed with demons, killing all in their path until their hearts exploded in their chests and they died screaming and frothing at the mouths on top of their victims”
“But he thinks the Lords are with him. Sometimes, you just don’t need the plants with some of them.”

Howard
“Bears. Possessed by bears. At least up where I hail from.”

Sam
What are you two going to do. You need another torch as your current one is out, and you are both also hungry & thirsty.

Steven
(I light a torch)

Howard
I have two more torches after that.

Steven
“Demons, bears, serpents, the Immortal Lords. Witches’ Leaf. No real difference.”

Howard
“So where’s the damned cook?”

Steven
(I look about for signs of egress)

Sam
There one other exit out of here, and you remember there being a fork not too far back.
The kid pointed back the way you came.

Howard
I guess we’ll head back to the fork and take the other tunnel.

Steven
“I’ll lead the way.”

Sam
I need a cartography check from somebody to prevent you from getting lost on your way back.
Since you are leading Symeon, that should be you.

Steven
(Look, I just have the torch – I have to lead)
(Ok, BL it is)
11,6
1,6
(I’m going out on a limb here and say I spend a fate point, because I get some feeling Ob > 1)

Sam
Good choice

Steven
2. Oh, well.

Tim
(you can spend persona to add extra dice)

Howard
would this be a time to use my trait “Born of Earth and Stone” against myself? “No, it’s this way. Trust me. I know from tunnels and caves. It’s in me blood.”

Sam
Heh, if would if you were the one making the test. I don’t think you can use traits against yourself if you aren’t the one making the roll.

Howard
gotcha.

Sam
Did you want to use the persona point Symeon?

Steven
sure

Sam
Ok, so since this isn’t technically in your nature, it will tax your nature by one, and will be a little risky.
Roll you full nature value.

Steven
5
wait – why am I rolling nature?

Tim
(i thought you could just add a die for a persona point…seems to be what the char sheet says)

Steven
Book says you can add persona to any rolls up to 3 points worth

Sam
Gimme a sec.

Steven
(pg 110)

Tim
(tapping nature is a different thing, which also costs a persona)

Steven
(yes)

Tim
(Torchbearer – just crunchy enough to bring out the rules lawyer in everyone!)

Steven
(I’d rather tap nature for something else)

Sam
Ok, you can do either one with your persona point. You can tap nature or get an extra die.
Tapping will cost a tax on your nature, or you can get the extra die roll if you don’t want to risk the tax to your nature.
However, the 5 is good enough to succeed regardless, so we can just go with that.
(page 28)

Steven
I would hope 2 would be fine for this
“No – it’s this way”
points to passage
“You’ve been at sea too long, I think.”

Sam
Don’t forget to be marking down your skill and BL rolls for advancement as well.

Steven
grins

Howard
“You point me the way out of your blasted temple, but don’t tell me how to find my way in a cave, boy. I know from caves like the back of… Oh. here we are.”

Steven
“Of course. Clearly in the blood – forgive my foolish doubt.”

Sam
You find yourself staring down a tunnel sloping deeper into the darkness. Much steeper and it would be a chute. Thoughts of giant spiders and other hideous things fill you mind as you consider what lies ahead in the shadows.
And we will stop there for the night.
That should give us time for rewards before we sign off.

Tim
“Later, you find Stephen and a bunch of civilians eaten by Shelob”

Sam
Hehehe

Steven
The Ungoliant

Howard
“Oh, very nice. I like this tunnel. We could make a cozy little home here, we two, we could. Well done, Sym.”

Sam
Ok, I am going to let Stephen return to you guys at this point as well. No sense in excluding him from the fun. He got the people up and out into the tavern and stumbled back down to meet you at the tunnel entrance. Lucky you got lost.

Howard
By the way, In my head this game is animated by the same artists who did Watership Down, and Fenring is voiced by Oliver Reed.

Steven
Excellent

Sam
FWIW, you can take a check Symeon on heal to try and fix Stephens broken leg. It might be worth it, especially if you have a persona to spend on tapping your nature.

Steven
And I do

Sam
You up for that Stephen.
?

Tim
yeah
anything is better than being double useless
single useless is bad enough

Sam
That is great Fenring. Good voice actor

Steven
6,6,4,4,1,5,4

Tim
I sort of imagine that Stephen is voiced by Mark Hamil.

Steven
Syemon is voiced by Todd Hiddleston

Sam
Wow, that leg is set like a motherfucker. Please describe the scene.

Tim
From Stephen, there is a lot of screaming
so, so very much screaming
until he stuffs his satchel in his mouth and bites down on it

Steven
Syemon ask Fenring to help him brace the patient

Howard
I laugh.

Steven
“Stephen. It’s time to pray. This will hurt.”

Tim
“Just do it.”

Steven
(whispers to Fenring : “You see how he gets when he’s angry. It’s really not going to help his leg if he gets ever so righteous like that. Please whack him on the head before he starts screaming for the Lords like a fresh whore.”
“One the count of three. One – CRACK

Howard
WHACK

Tim
*thud(

Sam
Excellent, Stephen, you may alleviate your injured condition.

Steven
“All better now.”

Sam
Symeon, you know that if he can survive the sepsis for the next night or two he should pull through.

Tim
“Thank you, my friend. I hope I can be of use finding this cook, now.”

Sam
Ok. Excellent.
Shall we reward you all?

Steven
By all means

Tim
who doesn’t like rewards?

Sam
Commies

Howard
I’ll abide

Sam
Alright
First up. Symeon.
Did you act on your belief?

Steven
Yes. I stood by my actions with Elsa’s father, despite the appearance
Which is goes with the belief that as much as I support the Lords, I do what I feel is best.

Sam
Good, one fate for that.

Steven
Including not performing proper funeral

Sam
Did you work towards your goal or did you achieve your goal?

Steven
thanks
My goal is to get people out alive. I fixed Stephen’s leg so he may not die of sepsis yet

Sam
That sounds like working towards your goal, so another fate.

Steven
I also tried to protect him from crafty kobolds

Sam
I don’t recall you invoking your instinct, so nothing for that.

Steven
I concur

Sam
Stephen. How about you. Your belief, did you act on it?

Tim
I would say that I confronted the hell out of some evil, which is what I believe in.

Sam
I completely agree.
Fate point
Goal?

Tim
My goal is to bring those who emptied the inn to justice.
Justice is a little vague, but I think driving them from their home and into the far-flung wilds is a good start

Sam
I can go along with you working towards it. I will say it will take a little more direct violence to actually achieve it in the end though.
These are murderous little vermin.

Tim
I think that’s right

Sam
Capturing and taking them into town would work as well.
So another fate.
I saw you try to use your instinct, but it just didn’t happen this time.

Tim
Yeah, I agree, just not the right confluence of circumstance.

Sam
Ok, Fenring.
Acting on your belief?

Howard
Not so much. I mean, I survived some dangers, but nothing really amazing enough to tell a story about it.
Not like exploding kobolds.

Sam
Heh, cause nobody wants to hear about saving throngs of prisoners from being cooked alive

Howard
Hehehe

Tim
Nothing about that conflict would make a good story

Sam
Some might even call it tedious and common place
Take your fecking fate point.

Howard
alright alright

Sam
How about your goal?

Howard
My goal is to find out what happened down here and explore. I’d say I’m working towards that.

Sam
Agreed. Fate
Ok, any nominations for MVP?

Howard
Stephen.

Sam
I know my nomination is going for Stephen. That was a hell of a way to end a conflict with those kobolds.

Steven
I second Stephen
or third
same result

Tim
I will not object, and I nominate Symeon for Team Player

Howard
He seemed to actually deliver on the fire and brimstone. Even though he’ll never say it, Fenring was impressed.

Sam
I second that for team player. He has now kept you in the fight Stephen which might save all of your lives, having a third for what is coming next.

Howard
I’d agree with that. Sym kept Stephen alive.

Steven
Symeon works for the Lords, but never has really bought into their direct influence in individuals – until this paladin comes along. He’s not really sure what to make of it.

Tim
Plus helped the little girl understand what had happened

Sam
Ok, persona for symeon and stephen.

Steven
Thanks!

Tim
sveet

Sam
I know I keep doing this, but your portrayal of Fenring is fantastic and it is really evocative, so I am giving a persona for embodiment to Fenring.

Tim
You keep doing it because Fenring is awesome

Howard
Thanks. I’m having a blast playing him. He’s the most different from any other character I’ve played, and he’s so much fun.

Sam
Ok, that is it.

Howard
hoorai

Tim
I do not do a lot of playing Paladin, so I am also having a great time. Good show, everyone.

Sam
How are you guys doing on having spent your rewards. Remember you want to have definitely spent at least three of each by the time you get to town.

Tim
I’ve spent four fate and one persona
going to spend the next persona points next session

Howard
Three of each

Steven
three fate, two persona

Tim
my Horse-wise doesn’t come up much in dungeons, but I am going to make use of my nature descriptors more,

Howard
Oh, be sure to check out the new map, and I’ll be posting a second, zoomed in detail soon.

Tim
awesome, I’ll have to check that out

Sam
Make sure you get them spent. Going to second level depends on it.
The map is badass.

Howard
Thanks!

Tim
If you spend enough to jump two levels (7 & 6 I think) can you do that at once?

Sam
I am not sure. I will look it up before the next game.

Tim
I don’t think I’ll have enough by the time we get to town, I’m just curious

Sam
Knowing the system, probably not. You probably have to make two separate trips to town, but I don’t know that for sure.
That would be too nice for this game’s character.

Tim
yeah, that sounds about right

Beneath The Three Squires Real Play

The Crypt Robber's Union chrmanMa0 chrmanMa0